Cost of new bathroom installation - is this fair?

Hi, I am having a new bathroom suite installed and I have a quote for the work. Basically, the quote is for ripping out the existing tiles and bath/toilet/sink and installing a new 3pc bathroom suite, tiling the floor and part of the wall and repainting the whole area.

The full quote is:

Remove old suite and tiles
Plaster all walls to make good
fit new bath and taps
fit new toilet and cistern
fit new basin and taps
fit new built in thermostatic shower
fit new shower screen
fit new chrome towel rail
Fit marine plywood to floor and screw at 150mm centres with stainless screws
Tile floor and walls around bath
Decorate room in colour of your choice

And the quote: £4,850!

I live in NW London if this makes a difference. Anyone have a view as to whether this is reasonable? Thanks
threadbanner.gif

Comments

• booty40uk
    booty40uk Posts: 514 Forumite
    Hi Zareer
    What items are you suppling. ie suite, tiles, shower, shower screen etc?

Andy
  • Does this include VAT?
    'You can't change the past, you can only change the future' Gary Boulet.

'Show me the person who never makes a mistake and I'll show you the person who never makes anything'. Anon
  • zareer
    zareer Posts: 70 Forumite
    Hi andy, I am supplying all the items - tiles, suite, everything. he quoted an additional £1,600 for supplying them all, which I thought was ridiculous.

beverlyhills, yes the price does include VAT.
  • pandas66
    pandas66 Posts: 18,811 Forumite
    So he's a regesterd electrian is he? and how big (approx) is the room, that can make a difference to the price.
    Panda xx

:Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

missing kipper No 2.....:cool:
  • wendyl1967
    wendyl1967 Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I live in Lancashire. I am having a new en-suite fit next week. I am supplying everything. He has recently fit a boiler for us and charged the same as the other 3 quotes we got so I assume that he is average for this area.

To fit new toilet, shower base, shower, (plus new shower in main bathroom) shower door, sink with vanity unit, extractor fan and to rip out the old suite plus supply skip he is charging £1600.

Tiler is going to tile three walls of the shower and half way up the other two walls for £500. 11 1/2 square metre of tiles if that is any help for size. Supplying everything but the tiles.

Plasterer to skim walls, knock off old tiles and put up new plaster board in the shower is charging about £200. Not got his exact price yet. Just an estimate.

This does not include painting.

Your price does sound very expensive.
    Wendy
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd seriously get another 2 quotes... sounds like a lorra lorra money to me
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • booty40uk
    Hi Zareer
    I would charge a maximum of £2500.00 based on what youl've told us. Maybe up to £3000.00 where you are. Definately get some more quotes. The whole job shouldnt take more than 2 weeks also.

Hope that helps
    Andy
  • raymond
    raymond Posts: 465 Forumite
    pandas66 wrote:
    So he's a regesterd electrian is he? and how big (approx) is the room, that can make a difference to the price.

Why would he want or need to be a registered electrician ???

It does sound very very expensive tho
  • It does seem a bit over the top, even for North London prices.
    'You can't change the past, you can only change the future' Gary Boulet.

'Show me the person who never makes a mistake and I'll show you the person who never makes anything'. Anon
  • booty40uk
    Hi Raymond
    He will need to be a registered electrician because bathrooms and kitchens are defined as special locations by the NICEIC and can only have electrics done in them by an NICEIC registered sparks or a sparks holding the new Part P qualification.
    Andy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport