PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help for cloudy wine glasses!

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Are they streaks, or has the dishwasher damaged the glasses (etching)? If they are just 'cloudy' it might be because of hard water deposits, so make sure you are using enough rinse aid and salt and you are using enough detergent. If it is etching you cannot remove it, if its dirt/cloudy try polishing with some baking powder and water.
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    Streaks/cloudy I try to keep it well salted and rinse aided but will try the baking powder
  • sparky61
    sparky61 Posts: 10,422
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Soaking streaky glasswear in a solution of soda crystals/liquid and hot water usually works for me.
    :heartsmil
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have found it is when the salt is getting low that my glasses go cloudy - cheap machine so no warning light. So I use the salt, vinegar in the rinse compartment and the 3 in 1 tablets (bought when on special) and that combo seems to work well.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• jennron
    jennron Posts: 61 Forumite
    on having a clean out i checked my glass cuipboard and noticed a lot of glasses discoloured with a residue iv tried fairy liquid and glass cleaner but not worked any hits ?? or should i just throw away??
    much thanks
  • jennron wrote:
    on having a clean out i checked my glass cuipboard and noticed a lot of glasses discoloured with a residue iv tried fairy liquid and glass cleaner but not worked any hits ?? or should i just throw away??
    much thanks

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: On Old Style, that's worse than blasphemy :D

Have they been in the dishwasher? If so, it may be a residue from the cleaning products used. This is especailly true if they're lead crystal.

Alternatively, is it a greasy residue? Try wiping with a damp cloth and vinegar.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • jennron
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: On Old Style, that's worse than blasphemy :D

Have they been in the dishwasher? If so, it may be a residue from the cleaning products used. This is especailly true if they're lead crystal.

Alternatively, is it a greasy residue? Try wiping with a damp cloth and vinegar.

HTH, Penny. x
    Thanks but as they have been in dishwasher they are cheap glasses , iv tried handwashing and scrubbing nothings worked as yet .
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    I have a clear pyrex bowl that has gone like that. Sort of cloudy at the base. It's definitely not food desposits or anything burnt on.

I have totally failed to get it back to its original condition, but it still works so what the heck. I know it's a bit different with glasses as they are more "seen", but perhaps you could use them for the kids' juice or something (if you have any that is).
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• lizzyb1812
    lizzyb1812 Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    You might find that this is not a residue but damage from your dishwasher. Some dishwashers wash with quite high temperatures and a fierce water action - over time this scours more delicate finishes. I know it is recommended that silver/gold decorated china is not put in a dishwasher as it removes the metal finish, so I imagine that over time glass would be affected too. Same thing for a pyrex bowl - think how many thousands of times metal implements have scraped over the bottom over the years.

lizzyb
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • jennron
    thanks i'll throw them in the bin .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills