Self Assessment 10-11: JSA, self-employed, then JSA in 1 year - how do I fill out SA?

chris2012uk
chris2012uk Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 2 February 2012 at 12:56AM in Cutting tax
Hi there,

Due to family difficulties I've been unable to do my Self Assessment until now, and have read about the 2 day grace period by HMRC.

I'm struggling to understand how to do my tax return if I was claiming Job Seekers Allowance for 3 months, then self-employed for 6 months, then JSA again for 3 months - how do I fill out the Self Assessment?

I have read the SA103 full notes, and it says on Page 3:
"If you have stopped working for yourself, and the date in box 7 is not the same as the date in box 9, you should complete another set of Self-employment (full) pages for the final period of trading."

So should I be filling out 3 separate Self-Employment (full) page returns, i.e. the whole self assessment 3 times for the 3 different periods?

However, on Page 16 of the SA103 full notes, it says:
"If you have more than one set of accounts for your basis period, complete separate Self-employment pages for each set of accounts, but only fill in boxes 65 to 75 once on the Self-employment pages for the most recent set of accounts."
So I'm thinking there's some way of doing 3 returns for the 3 periods, but on each one entering the total income for the whole tax year, e.g. in Box 72 (?)?

If someone could please clarify this it'd be much appreciated,

Many thanks and best regards,

Chris

Comments

• BTW: I looked it up on Google and found a similar question on Yahoo Answers, but it's from a previous tax year (I know JSA is a taxable benefit, by the way), and I can't find the question in bold?

I claimed Job seekers allowance for the first few days into tax year 2008-09. I am now filing my tax return for self assessment and am not sure how to answer the following question, as I am unsure if Job Seekers Allowance is a State Benefit:

'Did you receive any UK pensions, annuities or state benefits, for example, state pension, occupational pension, retirement annuity, Incapacity Benefit?'.

It's not on the 2010-11 tax return, I've searched the SA103 full and short versions
  • Well I've found Box 14 on page TR3 of SA100, the main Self Assessment form, a box for "Job Seeker's Allowance in £", but I'm just wondering how I tie the 3 periods together?

Thanks in advance
  • Ok, I realise now I should be using SA103 short version as the income is less than £70k, much less in fact, the total for the year is only just over £5000 (under the tax threshold), so could I simply enter the total JSA on SA100 in Box 14, then enter the business trading dates and income on SA103?
  • Can anyone give me a quick reply - I think it's simply enter the overview figures (inc. JSA in Box 14) on SA100 and business trading details on an SA103 short, but could someone please confirm this -THANKS!
  • Ok I've filled in the online Self Assessment on HMRC website, but can't see ANYWHERE to put the JSA??

On SA100 paper form it's a simple box, but with the online version I can't see it anywhere, and can't find how to using Google either, so some help would be appreciated, thank you.
  • Ok found it on page 2 of Tailor details
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Did you answer "yes" to did you claim any state benefits at stage "tailor your return". You should be looking for a box "total of other taxable state pensions or benefits"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure