Working Tax Credit/Free School Meals - advice appreciated.

rbbadger
rbbadger Posts: 451 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 10 August 2010 at 1:04PM in Benefits & tax credits
My annual income is well below the threshold for free school meals but as I receive WTC I have been told that I can not also have free school meals. WTC is worth just over £14 per month whereas free school meals would be worth around the same amount each week. I am also aware that FSM entitlement also open the doors to other kinds of help. Is there anything I can do?

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• karenx
    karenx Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    Stop your claim for WTC and claim free school meals instead. No other way around it, if you get WTC no matter what your income is you dont qualify.
    Although some councils are different but only a few in the uk. I get WTC and free school meals as my council have lowered the income band to under a certain level where you can still get free meals if your on WTC
  • rbbadger
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I don't understand how it works though. If I cancel WTC will I lose NHS exemption? I am heavily dependent on this as I have a disabled child who is seriously ill at the moment. Also find it hard to chase up all the different benefits etc around my caring and work commitments...there must be an easier way to sort it all?
  • karenx
    karenx Posts: 4,988 Forumite
    Yes you will lose your NHS card if you stop your WTC.
    Theres no way out of it, rules for 99% of councils are if you recieve WTC you are not entitled to free school meals, so whether you earn 6k a year or 16k you are still not entitled.
    If you are not claiming WTC and your income is under the threshold then you are entitled to free school meals.

So you need to make a choice as to what you want to do, continue with your WTC claim and keep your NHS card. Or cancel WTC, pay back the overpayment, lose your NHS card and make a claim for free school meals.
    Other option is stick with what you do just now and make your children packed lunches then you dont need to worry about not qualifying for free school meals
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Free school meals England/Wales

Who is entitled?
    Free school meals are not provided automatically. Free school meals can be given if you fall into one of the following categories:
    · you receive Income Support
    · you receive Job Seeker's Allowance (income-based)
    · you receive Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
    · you get support under part six of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    · you receive the guarantee credit element of Pension Credit
    · you are entitled to Child Tax Credit, you do not get Working Tax Credit and your family's annual income (as assessed by the Inland Revenue) is not more than £16,190. Anyone receiving Working Tax Credit is not entitled to free school meals regardless of their income unless you have become unemployed in which case free meals can be granted for a four week period only.

How do I apply?
    Contact your local education authority or contact Childs’ school.

Free school meals Scotland

Free school meals can be claimed if parents/carers are receiving any one of the following:
    • Income Support (which includes Guarantee Pension Credit); or
    • Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance; or
    • Any income related element of Employment and Support Allowance; or
    • Child Tax Credit, but not in receipt of Working Tax Credit, and your income is less than £16,040 (as assessed by the Inland Revenue); or
    • Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit and an income below £6,420 (as assessed by the Inland Revenue).
    • Pupils who are 16 – 18 yrs old and receive any of these benefits in their own right can then claim for themselves.
    • Asylum seekers receiving support under part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999 are also eligible for free school meals
    How do I apply?
    Contact your local education authority or contact Childs’ school.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • rbbadger wrote: »
    I don't understand how it works though. If I cancel WTC will I lose NHS exemption? I am heavily dependent on this as I have a disabled child who is seriously ill at the moment. Also find it hard to chase up all the different benefits etc around my caring and work commitments...there must be an easier way to sort it all?

Surely you would get free precription etc for your child even if not claiming any benefits
  • Becciboobah
    Becciboobah Posts: 125 Forumite
    That's what I thought. All under 16's get free prescriptions regardless of income.
    ;);) Better to say nothing and look a fool than to speak and remove all doubt :D:D
  • rbbadger
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for all the responses. Whilst we do get free prescrioptions, NHS exemption means you get help with travel expenses. As I live in a rural area and have to travel a round trip of around 45 miles to hospital at least once a week, very often more, this money has made a huge difference to me. I work part time and do not want to be a sponger but my son's illness has made it difficult for me to work at all and I have had to take a lengthy period of unpaid leave this year. I have little job security and worry all the time about a time when I am not able to keep up with mortgage payments - every little helps.
  • Loopy_Girl
    Loopy_Girl Posts: 4,444 Forumite
    How many kids do you have?

It's not that expensive to give packed luches if you are inventive with the contents
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    My advice is to write to your MP and protest that the conditions up in Scotland are much more "low income friendly" than in England. I was in the council (in Scotland) today and was given a brochure to apply for help with back to school expenses (we get WTC).
  • moomoomama27
    moomoomama27 Posts: 3,823 Forumite
    Sorry to be harsh, but they are your responsibility to feed! That is what the child related benefits are for! You cannot pick and choose which benefits wil benefit you more!!!

Tax credits assess your overall income when you claim, so I fail to see how you would able to say yes to the CTC, but no to the WTC!

Pack lunches don't have to be expensive, I have 3 children, and manage to provide a very low cost and healthy pack lunch for all 3! We are not on a high income, despite both working, and are not eligible for WTC! Yet manage, having children = sacrifices, and to me, the food, clothes for my children are priority above anything else!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure