Countdown to Freedom

Comments

• ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Evening, ok, who stole the sun :eek:

I was going to say 'I don't know, but whoever it was left a lot of water falling from the sky instead', but it seems you have it too!

It has been pouring with rain for the last couple of hours and by that I mean POURING :o

Pesky weather :( but hooray for relaxing in front of the TV on a Sunday afternoon :T
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    We have had the sun in Scotland but please don't begrudge us it as that's been about five days now so that's probably our summer:o
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Sep 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2250/7000

Mortgage balance: £52660

• We have had the sun in Scotland but please don't begrudge us it as that's been about five days now so that's probably our summer:o
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I'd never begrudge that :)

Best wishes, Tilly x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • LydiaJ
    LydiaJ Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 21 April 2014 at 1:23AM
    Lydia, what are you going to do after you're MF? I've got a lot of thoughts going through my head regarding the future and how to plan the finances but all looking positive and I need to bide my time :)

Hi Tilly :hello:

If my payout is what my lawyers say it should be, then there should be some money left over after paying off my "mortgage". :)

I'm going to start by replacing some things that are on their last legs and really need to go - the divan base of my bed has started to sag, and the mattress has sharp places on the edges where springs are sticking out sideways, for example, and most of my bedlinen has either ink stains or bleach spots on it. (The ink stains are because I do crosswords in bed if I can't sleep, and don't always remember to put the lid back on the pen before falling asleep!)

In a few years if I start to get my energy back, I'd like to have a bit of building work done to change the weird way that the entrance to my house is arranged. Should cost about £20k, and will add value to the house as well as making the entrance more convenient and the conservatory nicer to sit in. I won't do that straight away, though.

I'm going to give some to various charities, and the rest will get saved/invested to provide for the future (mine partly, but mainly my kids'). It will be nice to have a bit of capital in reserve, but I'm not expecting any difference to my net income or standard of living. ATM my "mortgage" payment to my dad each month is about the same as the child/working tax credits I have coming in. Once I'm not paying for the "mortgage" any more, I can save the tax credits as long as I carry on getting them, but that won't be for long and I won't qualify for universal credit at all, so the same level of frugality as now will continue to be appropriate. I'll probably divert the tax credits to pay straight into a savings account or something, to make sure I don't get used to having them without the payment to my dad going out.
    Do you know anyone who's bereaved? Point them to https://www.AtaLoss.org which does for bereavement support what MSE does for financial services, providing links to support organisations relevant to the circumstances of the loss & the local area. (Link permitted by forum team)
    Tyre performance in the wet deteriorates rapidly below about 3mm tread - change yours when they get dangerous, not just when they are nearly illegal (1.6mm).
    Oh, and wear your seatbelt. My kids are only alive because they were wearing theirs when somebody else was driving in wet weather with worn tyres.
    :)
  • HelenDaveKids
    HelenDaveKids Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 21 April 2014 at 4:28AM
    Can't wait to be mf, have already mentally prepared my list for Sept 16 onwards..
    Savings first to be built back to safe levels
    New-to-me car
    New mattress (same reason.. mattress springs in my back!)
    Driveway.. ran out of money post renovation and so temp job done with old slabs, looks well dodgey and doesn't do the job
    Replace giz its and ebay make do items (New lounge furniture that matches)
    New crockery, as have virtually nothing now without cracks chips..then New decent pans

Sooooo can't wait.... unfortunately will not be a lifestyle change as I enjoy mfw life to much... last time only managed a few years and bought bigger house......

Oh and help 3 daughters (now 15,13,11) through uni(hopefully)....
    Morgage till Nov 30 GOAL MFW Sept 2016
    Aug 11 - £100k Aug 2016.... It's GONE!!!!!
    2014 GOAL HIT 5 Stone! 2016 GOAL to be a MF marathon runner.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Wow those are some lists!
  • Morning, it's great to see what plans people have for when they're MF - thanks for sharing. I think a new mattress may be at the top of our list :)

Ironing is beckoning :eek:

It's so foggy this morning I can't see the trees over the road - unbelievable. Hopefully it will clear soon.

Today will be a spendy day but only on plants :o

Freezer inventory done and I will sit down at some point this week and menu plan. Books of the month Economy Gastronomy (old favourite) and Casa Moro, plus two SW books.

Mr T has decreed there will be a trip to the tip today - I really dislike going on a bank holiday as its normally so busy but I'm in the office all day this week and not able to pop in during the day. Hang on though, I'm sure they open later from April onwards - I'll check :) I could pop in after work if that's the case.

4 items on the bay of despair. OK, not a lot but after my last baying experience I've been reluctant to put my toe in the water. Like everyone, I enjoy it when people pay but we had a couple of boogers trying it on last time. It put us off for months :(

Skint, I hope you have better weather than us this morning - it's cold, grey, foggy and the kids will be begging for the heating to go on :rotfl::rotfl:

Have a good day, Tilly x
  • Morning Tilly - foggy here too :(

Do you have specific plants in mind or are you going to wait and see what looks good at the garden centre? I may have bought some more plants online over the weekend... :o but I'm not fessing up in my diary until they arrive :rotfl:
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Mortgage-free: January 2021
    Retired: June 2022 (186 months early!)
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Sunny at the moment Tilly but dark clouds, I have lots of washing to catch up on so hoping it stays dry for a while. DS planning a day of footie and the beach with friends so he will be furious if it rains:D

Enjoy your bank holiday everyone.
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Sep 35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2250/7000

Mortgage balance: £52660

• Morning Tilly - foggy here too :(

Do you have specific plants in mind or are you going to wait and see what looks good at the garden centre? I may have bought some more plants online over the weekend... :o but I'm not fessing up in my diary until they arrive :rotfl:
    If you fancy taking some cuttings for me that would be FAB. We are going to the garden centre shortly to see if there are some bargains, and I'm thinking of putting some sun flower seeds in as well :)
    Sunny at the moment Tilly but dark clouds, I have lots of washing to catch up on so hoping it stays dry for a while. DS planning a day of footie and the beach with friends so he will be furious if it rains:D

Enjoy your bank holiday everyone.

The sun is out :T:T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business