Would you own up if undercharged?

Comments

• Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    I always do, and if I notice something like an item missing on a restaurant bill I'll always tell the waiter - it often confuses them (what, you want us to charge you more?!)

My OH tries to tell me off, but I remind him that I would certainly complain if I was overcharged/shortchanged.
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    If the change is incorrect and I notice right at the till then I would say something, but if I don't notice until I have left the shop then I feel it is too late, same goes for if I am given too little change as well as too much.
    If the price scans lower than expected then I assume the till is correct, prices often change and I would expect the till to be correct.
  • Fred56
    Fred56 Posts: 74 Forumite
    I always own up and get it straight. Only right is right.and failing to pay is dishonest.
    Also I used to work for a big retailer - a dodgy shoe shop chain, you all know them, they go bust regularly. When the till is wrong everyone falls under suspicion and the employers can be really nasty about it. A customer deliberately keeping the money when a mistake is made could cost someone their job.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 May 2013 at 12:30PM
    No.

It's rare that it happens; last time the lady scanned one bowl when I had two - would have cost an extra 50p. Same with orange juice, she forgot to scan two so I had two free.

However after paying hundreds, probably into the thousands for food and supermarket items over the year (I am totalling up this year to see how much I do spend), I don't feel too bad.

I balance it out with sending back post which isn't addressed to me and other such things.
  • Gordon_the_Moron
    Gordon_the_Moron Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If I am given too much change I would own up regardless of whether it is a small or large retailer, you could cost an employee their job. If I realised later I would ring up and take it back next time I went in. Doesn't really apply to me though as I always use a cashback credit card.

If they mistakenly didn't scan something at the supermarket I'd not bother going back, they rip us off enough with dodgy offers and other underhand tactics I wouldn't feel bad and the operator wouldn't get in trouble as they wouldn't know who it was.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    When I worked at the bingo (on booksales) a customer once came running to find me in the foyer, after I had been selling 'lates' (tickets for the last session, started just after 9pm) because I had given her £10 too much change.

Have never forgotten - got me out of trouble.

I have told sales assistants I have been given too much change (when I have) because I wouldn't hesitate to point out if I had been short changed!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • When I have been given too much change or undercharged in supermarkets, I have always been treated as if it was my fault. Till persons and their supervisors are not interested in you highlighting their mistakes and then holding up the queue.
    It is different in a small establishment, when they are working with their own money, or in a bank, post office where the tills must add up or no one goes home.
    That is to say that if the mistake was big - notes not coins, then I would make the effort, if nothing else for my own conscience. But again, no one likes you highlighting their mistake. You need to be graceful and make a polite comment, for example, the notes got stuck together, or we were talking and got distracted. Help them save face.
  • jazmad
    jazmad Posts: 24 Forumite
    Sorry to pick on this post in particular, but your logic is similar to "I rob banks, but I balance this out by not stealing cars".

The fact you have spent lots in supermarkets over the year doesn't really come into it, as you have also received lots of goods in return.

Also, for people thinking "it's ok from a big, faceless company" - these companies are also owned by people and in the case of shareholders many of whom are not mega rich people but pension scheme members. The fact they are larger just means they will get more people stealing from them.

I think its a matter of personal views whether to own up or not, but its inconsistent to treat different size stores differently.

No.

It's rare that it happens; last time the lady scanned one bowl when I had two - would have cost an extra 50p. Same with orange juice, she forgot to scan two so I had two free.

However after paying hundreds, probably into the thousands for food and supermarket items over the year (I am totalling up this year to see how much I do spend), I don't feel too bad.

I balance it out with sending back post which isn't addressed to me and other such things.
  • miss_scrooge
    miss_scrooge Posts: 421 Forumite
    I don't usually say anything when I'm undercharged I usually think what can I spend this extra money on usually only undercharged by a few pence.Also sometimes only notice when I'm out shop or at home.It's their mistake they should notice if they have undercharged.I've been given 27 pound back in change once my shopping came to 3 pound and paid with vouchers.Told her straight away.The thing is that change was more then I had in my purse :0)
  • littlerat
    littlerat Posts: 1,792 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Generally I have a running total, if it came to less than expected I'd assume it was an offer etc. The couple of times I've realised I've already been home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure