Dipping my toe into corporate bonds - Advice requested

VT82
VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 5 December 2012 at 3:40PM in Savings & investments
I'm running out of places to generate a decent return on my savings, and the outlook for me managing to divest some of it by moving up the property ladder is receding. I am therefore thinking it's time to look at using my S&S ISA allowance.

There is a retail bond that has caught my eye. It is the Alpha Plus 7 year 5.75% Secured Bonds. I am tempted because it is secured on property in London. Yes it is schools, so will count as being secured on commercial property, but for me, being secured at all means it compares favourably to any unsecured retail bond I have seen recently.

My only concern is that the proceeds are to be used to repay shareholder debt, and I can't work out from the accounts how much was paid in dividends last year to see if the coupons will be more or less than this, although the operating profit of £4m last year (on turnover of £58m) should provide a decent interest cover regardless.

I was only thinking of sticking about £2-3k in there, and getting the rest of my allowance into some bond fund and some equity fund by the year end, topping them up over next year also (although not UK as there's where my pension fund is still sitting by default). So as I say, just dipping my toes in. However, I had been planning on opening an S&S ISA through Cavendish, as it was recommended on here and my dad has managed to use it to open an ISA investing in an HSBC Tracker fund quite simply and cheaply. But the advert says the Alpha Plus bond is only available through Collins Stewart, iii, Peel hunt LLP, RM Capital Markets, Selftrade, Shore Capital or Smith and Williamson (or Barclays?). Does anyone know which of these I should use that would be cheapest, and wouldn't conflict with my other plans on what to do with my S&S ISA allowance this year and next (or make it more expensive)?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Seems high risk to me - far too small.

How about some corporate bond funds?

http://www.fixedincomeinvestor.co.uk/x/default.html
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    VT82 wrote: »
    There is a retail bond that has caught my eye. It is the Alpha Plus 7 year 5.75% Secured Bonds.

Have you read this?

http://www.fixedincomeinvestor.co.uk/x/analysis.html?type=bond-of-the-week&cat=analysis-comment&y=2012&aid=867

Personally, I think you need to be diversifying whether you go for equities or bonds, which means either collective investments (funds or Investment Trusts) or 20+ different holdings with a good sector spread.

All bonds yields have dropped over recent months, and even riskier stuff like the preference shares I bought (LLPC, NWBD, RECP, etc.) has seen capital increases, so it's getting harder to find good returns without going up the risk scale.

Even stuff that I deemed too risky to touch like the Enterprise Inns 6.5% 2018 is heading up towards par!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Jonbvn wrote: »
    Seems high risk to me - far too small.

I like the idea of knowing the return is guaranteed. And owning it directly would mean there are no management fees like with any fund (however small the fees are). I guess the liquidity of it would be an issue, but I think I can live with that for such a small investment.

Assuming I'm not talked out of it, does anyone know the answer to my question of what is the most reasonable route to investing in it?
  • gadgetmind
    Of that list, Selftrade would seem the most likely, but I know that Hargreaves Lansdown are also fairly good regards retail bonds.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    If you want an small investment (say < £20K) in bonds I would recommend that you buy a bond fund. In that way you are putting a small amount of money into a large number of different bonds and so will not be greatly affected should any one go bust.

To buy funds directly you can either subscribe to one of the few new ones made available to the general public or buy on the market. Some of the online brokers will let you do this - iii for example.

Very safe bonds are currently expensive as they provide a refuge from the current poor returns and volatility of equities.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    VT82 wrote: »
    I like the idea of knowing the return is guaranteed. And owning it directly would mean there are no management fees like with any fund (however small the fees are). I guess the liquidity of it would be an issue, but I think I can live with that for such a small investment.

Assuming I'm not talked out of it, does anyone know the answer to my question of what is the most reasonable route to investing in it?

The 'distributors' are listed on the prospectus, why not ring one up and ask? After the 11th December you can buy in the market but then the spread and dealing costs will bite.

Authorised Distributors
    Collins Stewart Wealth Management (UK)
    https://www.collinsstewartwealth.com
    Interactive Investor
    https://www.iii.co.uk/investing/news-issues
    Peel Hunt LLP
    https://www.peelhunt.com
    RM Capital Markets Ltd
    https://www.rm-capital.co.uk
    Selftrade
    https://www.selftrade.co.uk/alpha
    Shore Capital
    https://www.shorecapital.co.uk
    Smith & Williamson Securities
    https://www.smith.williamson.co.uk/fixed-income-dealing-service
    Important Information
    This Information Booklet is an advertisement
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Jonbvn wrote: »
    Despite being a fan up until now I am starting to get a bit nervous about my fixed interest investments. I fear inflation may be on the way. My guess is not for at least a year but I think it will happen eventually and its a bit late in the day for a bond fund. If I was starting in bonds now I think I would go for short dated ones rather than a fund. Quite what I am going to do with all my preference shares I have not yet decided. It is tough to contemplate selling when they are paying me such a good income (7-13% after tax).
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Even stuff that I deemed too risky to touch like the Enterprise Inns 6.5% 2018 is heading up towards par!
    I went for that a few months back for the risky part of my portfolio, though I am reasonably optimistic it will turn out well given the high level of assets backing it up. I would have bought more but the buy price quickly went up beyond what I thought was reasonable.
  • gadgetmind
    Reaper wrote: »
    Quite what I am going to do with all my preference shares I have not yet decided. It is tough to contemplate selling when they are paying me such a good income (7-13% after tax).

I'm going to hold for the foreseeable as they won't be hit too hard because the coupons are just so good, plus I bought at a good price and everything is in my wife's name so no tax to pay.

However, undated instruments are more of a worry than dated as the price will be affected more by interest rates.
    I would have bought more but the buy price quickly went up beyond what I thought was reasonable.
    That's how I am with most of my holdings, equities and fixed interest. I hope the sales will be on again soon.

I looked again at the Enterprise Inns bond but eventually bought some RECP as the yield was about the same and the cover looked better.

• EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Reaper, I think you are right about inflation and the likely impact on fixed-rate bonds. How do you think Index-Linked gilts would fair though? On the one hand they should rise with increasing inflation but on the other hand the low yield compared to presumably rising variable rates elsewhere could push them down. Any thoughts what these will do over the next few years?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure