IS There A Legal Way Of Hiding Money From The Government?

2»

Comments

• talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry, but you can't convince me that a) the situtation is fair to all taxpayers and b) that if governments around the world really wanted to do something about it, they couldn't.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It isn't my job to convince you, nor is it for one country to stop another doing their business in whatever way they like.

If govt wants to make it fairer to all, they can do that- in law right here. But Labour didn't and they had the majority to do it.

The US govt laws are such that their cits can't get tax relief in tax havens like europeans can as they have tightened up rules, and made world wide income taxible in the USA. US cits living and working in britain still have to file tax returns and declare everything here to the US even though they aren't resident in the US. the UK does not do this.
  • Truepat
    Truepat Posts: 3,278 Forumite
    There are many things you can do to avoid tax. :)
    35, semi retired, sun, sand, sea, life is good
    When you are done moaning remember that there are people who would love to have your standard of living!
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I'm sure there are many things you can do to avoid tax. There are many things this Government (and in fairness, many other Govts as well) does to avoid giving proper services to the people who have contributed to them.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    "avoid giving proper services to the people who have contributed to them"

This has not much to do with rich people hiding money, more like you don't like how your givt spends it.

But think twice before you throw the baby out with the bathwater. It was Labour that got us where we are, and no way will they get us out of it. They are too busy complaining about the tories and cozing up to their Union masters to actually come up with any proper ideas.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    What bollocs you keep talking.
    Give it a rest, the man was making a non party political statement and it seems you can't let a single day go by without having a pop.
    It's not as if you even live here so !!!!!!!
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Consumer23 could always become a citizen of Gibralta. You don't even have to live there or own land or property, yet as far as tax is concerned, you pay nothing.
    I watched a program hosted by Piers Morgan about the rich Brits who had moved to Monaco, and he interviewed a chap from up north who had sold his string of Pharmacies for £18m, but to avoid paying UK taxes, he became a Gibraltan citizen before he wen ahead with the deal.

It's an awful lot of fuss just to save a few quid though. My view is, you earn the money working in the UK, so you should pay your dues. If you don't pay your taxes, you should receive no benefits.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    atush wrote: »
    If govt wants to make it fairer to all, they can do that- in law right here.

Glad you finally agree with the very point I was making all along.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure