White vinegar on windscreen? Cleaning it?

xzibit
xzibit Posts: 655 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I bought a car 3 weeks ago, and ever since, the windscreen seems to steam up a little all the time unless you have the demister on the screen all the time. I was annoyed at it, and went to wipr it with my sleeve last night, but it smeared, so I'm thinking there's something on there causing it.

I have cleaned the windscreen twice now with glass cleaners, but it's still there. I was thinking of using white vinegar on it to see if that shifts it?
Can I do this? Will I have to dilute it at all??

Any other tips?

Comments

• IzzyUK_2
    IzzyUK_2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Hi

The best way to solve it is a product called "Rain-X" they do a glass cleaner and a anti mist/fog product ... really does what it says on the bottle :-) Cover your dash with a sheet though as the cleaner liquid but similar to the old pink "windolene" drys to a powder and then you rub it off.
  • peter999
    peter999 Posts: 7,097 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    xzibit wrote:
    I was thinking of using white vinegar on it to see if that shifts it?
    Yes that's a known way to clean windscreen wipers & stop smearing.
    Wipe wipers with vinegar, then spray your washers to clean windscreen.

peter999
  • xzibit
    It's on the inside of the windscreen, just to make that clear lol.
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sounds like it may have a water leak ...no car should need the demister on 24/7

not a ford is it?
  • xzibit
    steveo3002 wrote:
    sounds like it may have a water leak ...no car should need the demister on 24/7

not a ford is it?

No a Renault lol. No, I don't think it's condensation, it's some greasy king of film. The screen de-mists in the morning, but then theres this foggy mist that seems to linger?!?! Dunno.

I am going to try cleaning it at lunchtime, will see if it helps it.
  • saintjanet
    saintjanet Posts: 723 Forumite
    Sometimes people rub washing up liquid on the inside of the glass to stop it misting up,could it be this?it should be rubbed well in to be effective and if not leaves a greasy residue.

The best thing to clean glass for no cost and this really does work,is wet it with a rag then rub it over with newspaper,the local paper is ideal.The dye off the print gets rid of all the dirt,i get beter results doing this than using glass cleaner!!I do the car,house and all my mirrors at home like this and have done for years.
    :) There are two sides to every story.
    I am not a SAINT just a saints supporter(saints RLFC)Grand final winners 2006.World club champions 2007.
  • xzibit
    Well, just spent twenty minutes cleaning the screen with white vinegar, as that's all I have to hand at work. When cleaning it, you can clearly see a 'residue' on the glass, that doesn't seem to want to budge. Scrubbed though, and all the mist has gone and looks very clean now. Just hope it's done the job, or will try the newspaper suggestion.

Hands smell lovely now:eek: and I found a chip in the windscreen which was hidden from my view by the mirror, that has started to crack :rolleyes: .

Best get it seen to tomorrow, hope they can do something with it.
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    try autoglym glass polish...it has a mild cut to it and should cut through the grime
  • jazzy
    jazzy Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    try the old original windolene cleaner (pink stuff in a bottle) it's highly recommended. Use it with a clean cloth it also removes any traces of silicon which causes sqeecky wipers
  • OrangeProse
    OrangeProse Posts: 206 Forumite
    I had a car with a smeary windscreen once; the person who'd owned it before me had smoked in it. Ciggies leave film all over the car - I think it's tar residue.

I used vinegar on mine, cleaned up first time.
    "I'm not a one-trick pony. I'm not a ten-trick pony. I'm a whole field of ponies - and they're all literally running towards this job."
    An utter berk, 2010.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport