Gift Ideas for Teachers/Teaching Assistants/Dinner Ladies

Hi Ladies (and any gents that may be on here),

It's that time of year again where I'm trying to wrack my brains for ideas on what to give my son's teachers etc... for xmas gifts.

I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions - One that springs to mind are brownies in a jar, sock jam etc... or any thing that may be relatively easy to make and a bit unique.

Many thanks in anticipation of suggestions!

Sue xx

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    My qualifications ... wife is /has been a teacher for over thirty years.
    Forget perfume ( unless you do your homework) forget chocolate ...
    Alcohol works ..... M&S vouchers are nice

PS most gifts! will be recycled via charity shops. Does this seem harsh??
    Yes , but at least I am honest.
  • MrsCrafty
    MrsCrafty Posts: 2,114 Forumite
    wallbash wrote: »
    My qualifications ... wife is /has been a teacher for over thirty years.
    Forget perfume ( unless you do your homework) forget chocolate ...
    Alcohol works ..... M&S vouchers are nice

PS most gifts! will be recycled via charity shops. Does this seem harsh??
    Yes , but at least I am honest.

Nope not harsh. Where on earth would you put 30 teacher mugs/photo frames etc. I have 4 and I am not a flipping teacher but know some :rotfl:

I reckon a sock cupcake would be nice. Everyone needs nice socks. dressed up in a bit of cello with ribbon and it would look lovely.

Also peg fridge magnets, see the flying pig thread or just type in pegs and look in this part of the forum.

Funny though, all of the teachers I know never ever give the wine away.
  • Hi for the past few years i have bought a cheap wine glass and engraved 'Best Teacher & name' onto the glass and let my child draw a picture and sign their name and have engraved that on too with a cheap engraver or something like a dremel that has tools to engrave. Very cheap, unique and personal! Only my time taken.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    What did we give our 'kids' teachers at Xmas ?
    We dropped off the largest tin of chocolate ( and somehow it had to be chocolate) biscuits to the staff room in the middle of December , don't leave it to the last day.
    Where on earth would you put 30 teacher mugs/photo frames etc.

yes we all see the influence of JS / Tesco etc in that.
  • This year my daughter is going to make bird cake for her teachers with a homemade card.
  • Avoid smellies, mugs, candles etc - There is a limit as to what one person can do with 30 of these.....hence the charity shop or indeed the school christmas fete a couple of years down the line. ???Use your Debenhams vouchers!!
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    what about a pen with their name on it, if you go through topcashback, then vistaprint, you get £5 from topcash back, and you can get some freebies, just pay postage.
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • phunkles
    phunkles Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Dinner ladies?really??

Teaching Assistants - chocs/wine will always get eaten/drank

I wouldnt buy any of the best teacher stuff unless your childs teacher was an nqt and would appreciate it.

Truthfully If your a school gate mum Id try and arrange something with a few other classmates mums and club together and buy a M&S gift card or something seriously Id rather have a Tenner gift card than some random crap smelly set that will end up back in the school summer fair tombola stand
    Love is the answer. At least for most of the questions in my heart,
    Like why are we here? And where do we go?And how come it's so hard?
    It's not always easy,And sometimes life can be deceiving,
    I'll tell you one thing, its always better when we're together
  • I've made 5 pots of gold (still need to add scratchcards) but they have cost me a grand total of £2 for all of them. Debenhams are selling HUGE bags of gold coins for £6, I used my £5 Debenhams voucher so only paid £1. Hubby had a voucher too so got the 2 bags for £2
  • I'm a teacher. I always feel so guilty when I am given a gift by a family that I know have little income coming in. (especially because the gift usually gets forwarded on to the above mentioned places)

I would much prefer just a home made card, or a card signed by the child at least.

I buy my son's pre-school teachers a large bar of chocolate each (usually Aero or Galaxy as it always seems to be on sale for £1) and then my son "draws" on a piece of paper, adds some stickers and I use this to wrap the chocolate. On the FlyingPig thread there are lots of fab ideas for covering chocolate bars.

At my friend's school, the parents in each class all put £1 in a collection and then buy the teacher a gift voucher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure