Plastic ceilings?

Options
2»

Comments

• OK_Sauce
    OK_Sauce Posts: 988 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have plastic cladding with low voltage down lighters in my downstairs loo for at least 5 years with no problems.

Andrew B - My bathroom, with a shower, has also had a plastic ceiling for at least three years and I've never had any condensation problems.
    "...IT'S FRUITY!"
  • rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wickes do 4" cladding complete with all of the rails and connectors for fixing and is NOT that expensive.

You need a lightweight wooden frame structure to fix to and you CAN fit halogens without worry. The void would be better ventilated if at all possible.

I find the best way of fixing the plastic to the framework is with a staple gun. Very discreet way of fixing but plan it well. The last peice is a bvgger!!
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Options
    I can heartily sympathise with you as we had this in a room in our previous home, it was horrible, like yours it split and bowed and as someone has said earlier i would avoid any voids due to condensation. We had it ripped out and plasterboarded and it was the best thing we did.
    You can then have an inexpensive striplight if you want one ( can only be mounted on certain surfaces) and save on the leccy too.
    I would imagine that if you had condensation behind a plastic ceiling the problem would eventually show itself elsewhere when some damage had been done.
    Some things are best done in less modern types of materials IMO
    When we get round to it we will be doing our kitchen ceiling in this house which has the same type of ceiling but it has been painted, this one will be plasterboarded too once it is pulled down. I can`t believe we have had two houses with this awful stuff in :o
    HTH
    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We've just plasterboarded over the pine cladding in our kitchen. Dh nailed the cladding up before my FIL added the plasterboard. We're just waiting for the plasterer to come in and finish it off. We were wondering whether to remove the cladding on the roof first but decided against it, as we had unforeseen work to be done (walls had to be taken right back as it had been tiled to the ceiling). We had loads of pine cladding. It was all over the walls and it made a mess when it came off, and there were holes in the wall behind it, so we plasterboarded over that as well. I've got a kitchen coming next week and the plasterer had a 3 month waiting list for big jobs. Taping he can manage between jobs, but plastering he can't, so not much choice other than to plasterboard so much.

hoose029.jpg

mams022.jpg
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks jackieb, that's exactly what my ceiling looks like.Yours is such an improvement!
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
  • rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Options
    Incredible Jackie. Same as mine was too. Walls & Celings.

I built a shed out of my pine. Looks pretty good too.

Actually removed the last bit of pine today. Celing was the first to remove. Neighbour kept his and painted it white.Yuk!

Just waiting to box in some beams and then will get plasterer in.
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We've had the plasterer in today, and he's coming back tomorrow. It's so much lighter now.
  • pandas66
    pandas66 Posts: 18,811 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I have 2 plastic ceilings, bathroom and kitchen.

this is the company I used

www.pvc-cladding.com

and mention mse if you like as I know it might get a little extra discount.:)
    Panda xx

:Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

missing kipper No 2.....:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills