Plastic ceilings?

I've heard of these replacement ceilings for kitchen and bathroom. My Kitchen has the most horrendous pine tongue and groove orange 1970's ceiling and I'm wondering if this might be the best alternative/
Anyone have any experience?
Just call me Nodwah the thread killer

Comments

• moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    nodwah wrote: »
    I've heard of these replacement ceilings for kitchen and bathroom. My Kitchen has the most horrendous pine tongue and groove orange 1970's ceiling and I'm wondering if this might be the best alternative/
    Anyone have any experience?

They are quite expensive and you can't flush mount halogen lighting on it as it will burn.

Why don't you take down the t&g panels and put up a plasterboard ceiling?
  • loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You could just paint it - mine too was that bright orange 70s pine, I rubbed it down a bit and just emulsioned it, looks fine.
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    oh no it has to go, it's all bowed and split from bath overflows by previous owners!
    I was told that it was ideal for spotlights to go in so that's funny.
    Thanks, I thought it was an easier option than plaster board but obviously not!
  • 3onitsway
    3onitsway Posts: 4,000 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    oh no it has to go, it's all bowed and split from bath overflows by previous owners!

Ive got two friends who've recently had kitchens and bathrooms fitted, both with these new plastic ceilings with sunken spot lights - they look really good and a nice and easy to clean.

I think they were fitted by the kitchen company - i'll ask them who and post again.
    :beer:
    03022242 Posts: 350 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ive got upvc cladding on my bathroom ceiling, best thing i ever did, its been maintainance free for the last 5 years!
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • nodwah
    nodwah Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    :wall: :wall: 2 for 1 against, any more?

i'm terrrible at making descisions btw:o
  • matbe
    matbe Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    not sure if you can put spotlights on these plastic ceilings or not if in doubt contact manufacturer they will give you all info you need

have seen them fitted and they look good
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'll even things out then!

Ideally i would avoid having any ceiling voids as you can get condensation probs. I had been thinking about plastic cladding myself for our bathroom ceiling..until i was advised otherwise.

I would either tart up the existing pine cladding or tear it down and get it plastered. Per square metre the cost of a plasterer will be cheaper.

Andy
  • liames
    liames Posts: 173 Forumite
    I have had plastic ceiling in the bathroom for 3 years. It's great but I have a fan on the wall for the steam after having showers and baths. I have not got spotlights on the ceiling.
  • moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite

I got the info from the instruction leaflet on the panels they sell in B&Q - other manufacturers may be different regards the halogen lights.

They are expensive though, these panels, and board would be much cheaper - just make sure you use the proper paint for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure