Christmas Trees on a budget - please post your xmas tree finds here

Comments

• liz-paul
    liz-paul Posts: 899 Forumite
    Has anyone bought one yet? It looks suspiciously good for £15....

My current tree has to be put together in the same way - is that not usual? It's the only artificial one we've had so didn't realise they're not all like that...
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    We bought a tree that had to be built in the Mr T Jan 2012 sales, and were pleased with the significant reduction. We found out the hard way in Dec 2012 that they are a pain to put together.

I'm seriously considering a different tree this year. Previously we've had the sort with branches that stay attached.

Mind, that might be us - I have dodgy grip due to arthritis and DH 's hand were in a state due to his chemo. It took us ages and we left the bottom layer off as we could not face it.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • luxor4t wrote: »
    I have dodgy grip due to arthritis and DH 's hand were in a state due to his chemo. It took us ages and we left the bottom layer off as we could not face it.

I've had a few of these types of trees and have found it easier to add the branches from the bottom up (rather than trying to hang the branches under the ones that you have already hung).

I hope that you and DH are both feeling better this time round.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    True_Blues wrote: »
    I've had a few of these types of trees and have found it easier to add the branches from the bottom up (rather than trying to hang the branches under the ones that you have already hung).

I hope that you and DH are both feeling better this time round.

Thanks for the tip, I'm sure it will help people.

My difficulty was with the actual movement iyswim.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • I have a tree like this (not this one). It's easy enough to put together as all the rows of branches are colour coded. Does take a little time but my tree certainly looks fuller than others I've seen with attached branches.
  • POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    For anyone wanting a real tree.

Ikea are doing the offer again this year i.e. buy a tree for £25 and get a £20 voucher to spend in store.

They are the non-drop ones. We got one last year, it was lovely and lasted for ages.

Thanks for this. what size were they and can you remember when roughly they started this offer last year?
  • I have a tree that you put together like this (had it for about 6 years now) bit fiddly but nice and full, got it from B&Q at £70 at the time so £15 seems a bargain.
    They are good if you put the tree in the corner, don't use all the bottom branches at the back and it lets you push the tree further into the corner without it sticking out into the room so much.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Elle87 wrote: »
    Thanks for this. what size were they and can you remember when roughly they started this offer last year?

They started on 1st december last year.

This link will give you a rough idea of what they looked like, taken from the Telegraph when they reduced them down to £1 the week before Christmas.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9754606/Christmas-trees-for-1-at-Ikea.html
  • mummybearx
    mummybearx Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    We got an Ikea one last year, it was gorgeous!

We got it from the Glasgow store. They had them all out the front of the shop, some out on display, the rest were in the huge metal cages, all wrapped up in netting. You basically took one off the top of the pile, queued up and got a ticket from the guys outside, then go inside to the checkouts to pay for it and get your £20 off voucher.

But we didn't take one off the top of the pile, we searched through loads of them, opened some up to see how 'full' and bushy they were, and made sure we got a nice tall one :rotfl:
    Can't think of anything smart to put here...
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    zepsgal wrote: »
    We got an Ikea one last year, it was gorgeous!

We got it from the Glasgow store. They had them all out the front of the shop, some out on display, the rest were in the huge metal cages, all wrapped up in netting. You basically took one off the top of the pile, queued up and got a ticket from the guys outside, then go inside to the checkouts to pay for it and get your £20 off voucher.

But we didn't take one off the top of the pile, we searched through loads of them, opened some up to see how 'full' and bushy they were, and made sure we got a nice tall one :rotfl:

We did the same. The staff were really nice and very helpful helping us undo as many as we wanted to and then netting the one we chose back up again!

Definitely going back there again this year and earlier this time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure