can you get dla for depression and ocd?

Options

Comments

• judexx
    judexx Posts: 495 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    because i live on such a small amount of money a week. £26 income support which includes a disability premium for depression and ocd i have been advised to put in a claim for dla. i just wondered if anyone knows if it would be worth my while doing this?
    any advice would be gratefully recieved thanks

beverley

Have a look at the MIND guide to DLA http://www.benefitsinmind.org.uk/dla_attendance_allowance.htm that should give you some idea.
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    upferret wrote:
    My boyfriend has quite bad OCD, been on medication for 2 and a half years, also been on a psychologist waiting list for cognitive behaviour therapy for the same amount of time, seeing a psychiatrist and he has applied twice for DLA and refused both times even though he cant do most household tasks, or even make his own food! He has been off work for nearly a year now because it has got worse.

Sorry your boyfriend is not faring too well just now. You might find this link
    http://www.livinglifetothefull.com/elearning/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
    helpful. It's for an online DIY cognitive behaviour therapy programme, supported by the nhs.
    Best wishes
  • Precious_Thing
    Options
    Hi,

I have had DLA for years for depression, eating problems and other things. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year and applied for more DLA because my situation is now worse. I was turned down but am appealing.

I would encourage you to apply. All you have to lose is the time taken to fill in the forms (but this is usually a lot of time). However, you really should get someone who is experienced in doing this to help. It's very much about how you say what you say, and especially, how you meet their criteria. It is also common to get turned down the first time and to win on appeal. It can go on for many months and there are no guarentees. But if you do win, the money will be backdated to when you first applied.

Their is a website called Benefits and Work benefitsandwork.co.uk
    which is really helpful, and will help you to fill in the forms step by step. It's a one off payment of £15 to join. But really, get help with the forms if you can from CAB or Welfare Rights, if there's one in your area.

It can add a fair bit to your income if you're willing to go through the hassle of applying.

Hope that helps,

Precious Thing.
    What's So Amazing About Really Deep Thoughts ...
  • mallard
    mallard Posts: 265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

As with other posters DLA is based on how something affects your everyday living and the criteria (which if you are really bored one day can be accessed via DWP literature in libraries etc). Many people do get turned down or are given the lowest rates.

Getting help to fill in (by someone who has done DLA forms before and has been successful) is good. Don't assume though that CPNs etc are any good at it - some are and some aren't. The main thing is to stick absolutely everything that effects your everyday life on the forms and emphasise strongly where others help you and what happens when that help is not available. Go for the worst scenario that you experience on a reasonably regular basis. I know a lot of people think something small needn't be included but write absolutely everything down. Equally write it down if you don't think it affects your life but never state that it doesn't. The more information the better. Also make it very personal - for example 'I feel low, have no energy, despondent, and can't do meals' and so on.

Try to make sure you get someone who really knows you well to write the last sections and again (if you know them well enough) to write things in synch with what you have written.

Hope that helps and good luck
  • LaidlawUk
    LaidlawUk Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I got turned down for DLA I have Arthritis of the Spine and Depression, I have a appeal coming up, the forms were hard to fill in as I have dyslexia, I have no life I dont go out, I'm in so much pain when I move but I can not see me getting it.
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Options
    LaidlawUk - please contact the CAB and get them to help you fill out the form. It can make a lot of difference how it is filled in
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • LaidlawUk
    LaidlawUk Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    My appeal is on the 18th of this month, how many times can you appeal ? My doctors report wasn't good but it seemed my doctors couldn't be bothered, I had to keep on about my back and then they didn't tell me what was wrong with it, I had a breakdown in Oct and was in bed for 5 weeks after I found out my daughter was raped by her step father do I tell them at the appeal ?
  • upferret
    upferret Posts: 691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My boyfriend has just appealled and got low rate care DLA for his OCD after ebing refused 3 times.
    November £10 a day challenge. Im starting early- 66p so far!
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    This site explains decision making and classifications for mental health disabilities:

http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/default.asp

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    depression can actually cause physical problems for people and isnt a simple illness so of course it can qualify for DLA. Me myself have been turned down for DLA twice and I am now applying for the third time, I get Incapacity already for the reason I am claiming DLA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure