Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Comments

• harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    I know for a fact i only get 2.5 Mbps off an up-to 8 Mbps and they're (Be) quite happy to sign me up.

It does not work for everyone, but go away for a LONG weekend leaving your BB connection plugged directly into the master socket, that is behind the face plate. As soon as you get back try a speed test such as ADSLguide (aka "think broadband"; it displays a graph that is most useful in monitoring changes over time).

If you get an improvement in speed over those several days, then check out ALL of this thread, for a discussion in how to improve your home's wiring. It worked for me.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=497478&page=3&highlight=harryhound
  • oh i'm way ahead of that... the whole street is getting around 3200 sync rates due to higher than average snr margins. but even with that be* would be faster due to bt's ip profiling. best i ever got was around 5500 sync from master with a 7db snr but it only lasted overnight. luckily be*'s free router can have it's snr mucked about with manually :D
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,719
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Brethe's £9.99 broadband should get a mention somewhere.

It is only 512K - so not suitable for all - but it does NOT have a low GB download limit like other budget packages (it just has a fair use policy).

It is also not a LLU product so IS available to all BT Wholesale area addresses, unlike most of the other cheapest packages.

www.breatheinternet.com
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I saw on Virgin's website a deal called "Unlimited Broadband & Talk (bundle One)" - at £19.99 per month. This includes 8MB broadband/free anytime calls to standard British numbers/PcGuard Total broadband security/free TV box.

As I am currently paying £25.95 per month for 2Mg broadband/free evening and weekend calls only/Pcguard Total (finally available to Vista users at last!) and free tv box - and having problems watching YouTube clips at evenings and weekends (which seems to be down to having too slow a broadband speed, as far as I can make out) - I am not happy with my present deal.

I have accordingly emailed Virgin and pointed out I know about this new deal and intend to swop to it immediately - and await their response with interest.
  • How very appropriate that you'd recommend PlusNet on Hallowe'en. They're truly terrifying in their ineptitude. Avoid at all costs if you value your data or privacy.
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    oh i'm way ahead of that... the whole street is getting around 3200 sync rates due to higher than average snr margins. but even with that be* would be faster due to bt's ip profiling. best i ever got was around 5500 sync from master with a 7db snr but it only lasted overnight. luckily be*'s free router can have it's snr mucked about with manually :D

Beware, I'll need you to explain it to me, if and when I switch in the new year.:eek::beer:

Harry.
  • I don't think Martin realises that Orange have withdrawn their free broadband offer for customers. Some of the links on their website are still active but when you try to order it a new set of options are offered - £5 is the cheapest and that is a bit dodgy cos Orange take over your call charges as well!
  • >> How very appropriate that you'd recommend PlusNet on Hallowe'en.
    >> They're truly terrifying in their ineptitude. Avoid at all costs if you value
    >> your data or privacy.

they had one email server hacked in to earlier this year, and only lost a few email addresses to spammers. at which point they gave free domain names away to everyone of their customers to avoid spam.
    they also had one email server accidentaly ovwritten, losing emails for a number of customers without backups, that was a while back. they fully disclosed the events that led to this and what they did to stop it happening again
    really could happen to anyone, even this site had problems but a few days ago... other isps have had much the same happen to them one time or another. the difference is what they do about it, and from what i've seen PN are extremely good at explaining and solving issues when and as they happen.

if you value help, really *do* choose plusnet. they have members of their support team all over the place; i was in the digitalspy forums the other day and noticed one of their team was helping a pn customer with cancellation charges through there. theres loads of them on thinkbroadband continualy chasing up stuff with BT, and letting you know the progress. and that's all outside of their own website and forums, where they've solved any of my problems within a few mintues.

still, there's alway bt / virgin / tiscalli / talktalk / orange you can go to for fun. good luck getting them to help...
  • This offers seems pretty appealing, but I am a little suspicious because nobody mentions it on here. Here is the link.
    Switching to Virgin for 10GBP a month, with the following conditions (12 months contract)
    Up to 8MbpsUnlimited downloads‡ Evening and weekend calls to UK landlines PCguard protection for your PCdocument.write('[URL="javascript:show_info_for(\'PCguard\', \'PCguardinfobox\')"]icon_more_info.gif[/URL]'); [URL="javascript:show_info_for('PCguard', 'PCguardinfobox')"]icon_more_info.gif[/URL] Add Virgin Free TV or a Wireless Kit for £40 Free modem Am I missing something? is there a catch? Why is nobody talking about this?
  • The virgin bundle has expensive call charges and exhorbitant connection fees on top of that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback