ESA and working part-time?

2»

Comments

• sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    jr1985 wrote: »
    Ok, I rang the Social Security Office (in Northern Ireland) - they said I wouldn't be entitled to IS as I'm not a lone parent, claiming IB, etc.

The guy said I could try for JSA, and when I said won't they expect me to look for full time work, he said well technically, but they probably wouldn't say anything (isn't this fraud?).

I told you that IS for disabled people has been repealled, you arnt entitled to JSA either and your right it would be fraud to sign on and claim to be looking for work when your not.

The only solution is to work 16 hours as Ive said or manage on what you get because there are no benefits for someone in your situation.

I dont understand the phrase " I get DLA care for the help my parents give me" as it dosnt make sense, you get DLA for care needs and not for care your parents give you.
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    You can claim ESA and do permitted work. Just dont expect to stay on it for a long time as the test is pretty tough and ATOS are taking over soon - not sure if that will or should make a difference.

If you sign on JSA they should adapt your agreement to be a bit more understanding. That is the way it is supposed to be.

If you do go for ESA you can makre your claim over the phone.
  • skater_kat
    skater_kat Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    hi

i have aspergers & depression too and i work one day a week at the moment. i totally understand about not being able to do more, it is so exhausting...

depending on how much you earn and how old you are, you could sign on for JSA. If you do that, as being a disabled person you can specify the hours you wish to work. I am on jobseekers and i was able to specifiy the hours i look for due to this. i also see a disability employment advisor which is really helpful.

you might want to think about simlar hours/or slightly more but a different role, is there something else you could do which involves less social interaction (if that would help?).

but as others have rightly said , only sign on if you are looking for work.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 84 Forumite
    sunnyone wrote: »
    I told you that IS for disabled people has been repealled, you arnt entitled to JSA either and your right it would be fraud to sign on and claim to be looking for work when your not.
    No, what actually happened was -

I said:

"Thanks for the response!

I tried the test and it said I might be entitled to income support. However, if I am claiming on grounds of disability, won't they tell me to apply for ESA?

It says it's for people who aren't on JSA/ESA, would this include me if I can work, but only a limited number of hours?"

then you replied:

"That was repealled last year."

I had no idea what you meant. (disabled people claiming IS was repealed? or disabled people NOT claiming IS was repealled??)

So I asked:

"Can you explain what you mean? This whole benefits thing is nearly impossible to get my head around."

But you didn't reply..
    The only solution is to work 16 hours as Ive said or manage on what you get because there are no benefits for someone in your situation.
    Case study PETER GRIFFIN: Astrophysicist and supermarket worker
    'When you get ESA, they throw roadblocks at you"
    eter Griffin, 29, has an IQ of 159 and a degree in astrophysics. He also has Asperger's syndrome and works in a supermarket one day a week. He cannot cope with more. "I can barely manage it because presenting as normal for a long time is draining, but having nothing at all in my week would be worse," he says.
    His ideal job is to teach maths to A-level students and those in further education. "I think it's achievable if he's given the right amount of support," says his mother, Ann.
    Meanwhile, Griffin is on ESA, but found the process of applying "problematic".
    I dont understand the phrase " I get DLA care for the help my parents give me" as it dosnt make sense, you get DLA for care needs and not for care your parents give you.
    Yes, I get DLA for my care needs, which my parents provide.
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    I think what Sunnyone is trying to say is that Income Support can no longer be claimed by those who have a health condition. Those who have existing awards will soon be moved off Income Support altogether and the benefit wound down until Universal Credit can take over.

If you are capable of some work then you can claim JSA and have your agreement reflect that.

Alternatively you can claim ESA and so long as your doctor will give you sicklines you will get paid until the medical takes place.

On ESA you can do a certain amount of work and it wont be taken into account. On JSA it is taken into account.
  • jr1985
    NASA wrote: »
    I think what Sunnyone is trying to say is that Income Support can no longer be claimed by those who have a health condition. Those who have existing awards will soon be moved off Income Support altogether and the benefit wound down until Universal Credit can take over.
    Thanks for explaining
    If you are capable of some work then you can claim JSA and have your agreement reflect that.
    This is what confuses me, because several people have told me I could go on JSA, and tell them I an do limited hours. But doesn't that mean I would have to look for another job with those hours, even though I already have one?
  • jr1985
    skater_kat wrote: »
    hi

i have aspergers & depression too and i work one day a week at the moment. i totally understand about not being able to do more, it is so exhausting...

depending on how much you earn and how old you are, you could sign on for JSA. If you do that, as being a disabled person you can specify the hours you wish to work. I am on jobseekers and i was able to specifiy the hours i look for due to this. i also see a disability employment advisor which is really helpful.

you might want to think about simlar hours/or slightly more but a different role, is there something else you could do which involves less social interaction (if that would help?).

but as others have rightly said , only sign on if you are looking for work.
    Well, actually, one of the reasons that I have stayed on in this current job for so long (3.5 years, which is longest I've spent in any job), is because I'm not stuck behind a desk/checkout all day with no where to escape if I'm overwhelmed.

I usually work on the shop floor, and if customers are getting too much, I can hide in the warehouse and do some work out there (tidying, clearing waste, etc). Same if co-workers are getting too much - I can find somewhere to go where I will be alone for a while. Also, you're mostly left alone to get on with your work. So I'd be afraid of leaving the frying pan and jumping into fire in an even worse job.

Despite all this, I am still around lots of people, which is mentally draining. Also, another thing which I find really difficult to deal with is when I am in the staff canteen, and a large group of people are sitting chatting and laughing together, and I am sitting in the corner alone. It's just a painful reminder of how different/odd I am, as I can't participate in their fun. Reminds me of being in school.
  • skater_kat
    skater_kat Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    totally understand.
    so if you stay in your job - could you increase your hours to 16 hours and then you could claim working tax credit to top up your income?
    it may help if you state how much you earn at the moment and people could help you work out a possble budget for indepedant living.
    also you could rent somewhere , you don't have to be on a benefit to qualify for help with your rent. you can make a claim based on your present income. you can check what you might recieve by looking up the housing page on your local council website. however - i am assuming you are under 25 - this amount may be limited. however depending on what rate of DLA you get - this may not apply.
    again it may help to post more details of your income/earnings for people to advise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure