Real-life MMD: Whose glitch is it anyway?

Comments

• purple.sarah
    purple.sarah Posts: 2,517
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The money isn't yours or your friend's to keep. It was a mistake and that might catch up with him. If you got the euros you paid for then you are not out of pocket, you are just trying to get something for nothing. I would give it back.
  • Inverness
    Inverness Posts: 269
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Cimscate wrote: »
    I'd ask for the money back and get a new friend!!

It's not yours either, you had the euros instead.:A
  • some of these responses make me p*ss!

split half and half all day long. if someone chases the money down the line, deal with it then
  • DustD
    DustD Posts: 20 Forumite
    Those people saying 'you got the EUR200 you paid for' are missing the point. And I don't get this 'go halves' business either. Why?

Say I gave my friend a £1 to get some milk for me while they were shopping. They come back with the milk, but then explain they weren't charged for it but they are going to keep the money anyway. Or they say heres 50p... I wouldn't be happy with that.

The real question isn't whether or not you should get something for free - its should your friend profit out of the situation?

This MMD isn't as black and white and the scenario described above, as quite rightly people have mentioned theres a fair chance the Bureau will realise their mistake and debit his account at some point, which would mean -£200 to him which isn't fair.

I think the money should technically go back to the OP, as I don't see why the friend should profit. But the only solution can be to inform the Bureau and get them to take the cash.

Explain to him, what if say in a few months, his account only has £150 in it, the Bureau finally make the debit, forcing him to go overdrawn? What then?
  • The question is, who does the money belong to, and if the Bank didn't collect the money from the euro transaction, then it still belongs to them. It's quite simple really.
  • oldtrout
    oldtrout Posts: 129
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Probably best to leave it as a matter between your friend and the bureau. If your friend hadn't told you, you would be none the wiser and therefore would not have this 'dilemma'.
  • Unless I've misread the original post it sounds like the OP is saying that they got their friend to buy the currency for their holiday but yet they expect this friend to pay full whack for all theirs whilst the OP pays nothing and basically gets free money. If that's true it makes you wonder who's the poor friend?

As others have said, they gave the friend £200 for the equivalent currency, which they got. If his bank made a mistake somewhere along the line then it's arguable that as they're the account holder they should be the one to benefit.

Personally I'd split it 50:50 on the condition that if the bank asks for it back then the OP pays half. If I've read it right then to my mind that's the absolute most they're entitled to.
  • Wow, if he's a friend I'd hate to meet your enemies....never mind the £200, dump the friend and move on. Quick.
  • You have a problem if you have to ask others to answer this for you
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    split half and half all day long. if someone chases the money down the line, deal with it then
    Trouble is, even good friendships can come and go.
    If the bank realise the mistake 18 months down the line it is the friend who is going to have to cough up for it. Might then be difficult getting the other half back from the OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure