Can you take a jar of jam on a plane? Seriously

I've looked on a few websites and nowhere does it specify jam as an item you can't take on planes - however it does say gels and substances of a similar consistency - anybody know. I have one jar of marmalade to take to a friend and only want to take hand luggage.
Thanks

Comments

• franklally
    franklally Posts: 471 Forumite
    I had 2 jars of jam taken off me by security at Stansted in january - so no is the answer
  • vsumouse
    vsumouse Posts: 164 Forumite
    i had my jam jars taken off me also, but i couldnt see where the plane was so they gave me them back.

anyways whos your friend? paddington bear?

(on a more sensible note: just post your jam jar, will be less hassle and you will cut the jars carbon footprint to nothing):j
  • Ria
    Ria Posts: 208 Forumite
    I want to take some good wine glasses out to the Canary Islands as I can't seem to find anything decent there. What are my chances of getting them through as hand luggage? Anyone know?
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Ria wrote: »
    I want to take some good wine glasses out to the Canary Islands as I can't seem to find anything decent there. What are my chances of getting them through as hand luggage? Anyone know?

Wouldn't have thought there was any problem, size permitting - but best check with the airline or on the BAAwebsite to be sure.
  • Engadine
    Engadine Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I've looked on a few websites and nowhere does it specify jam as an item you can't take on planes - however it does say gels and substances of a similar consistency - anybody know. I have one jar of marmalade to take to a friend and only want to take hand luggage.
    Thanks

Marmalade will be classed as a liquid/gel so will be subject to the restrictions in place at the moment. The only way you will get it through is if it is less than 100ml, that is currently the max amount per liquid/gel item that you are allowed, anything larger than 100ml gets confiscated.
    :j Debt free since 31/01/08:j

• Engadine
    Engadine Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Ria wrote: »

You should be fine with wine glasses, as long as they fit in your hand luggage. My dad recently took a dvd player to Spain as hand luggage without any problems.
    :j Debt free since 31/01/08:j

• MickMack
    MickMack Posts: 132 Forumite
    vsumouse wrote: »
    i had my jam jars taken off me also, but i couldnt see where the plane was so they gave me them back.

anyways whos your friend? paddington bear?

(on a more sensible note: just post your jam jar, will be less hassle and you will cut the jars carbon footprint to nothing):j

!!!Unrelated But!!!!

So how does posting it make its carbon footprint zero???

Even if the postman carried it the whole way in his bag, he would still be producing carbon-dioxide when he breathes, basically we're all DOOMED :-O

Id guess that delivering a pot of jab was not the only reason that spudilydoodah was planning on taking a flight, but thats only a guess.

What you could do is buy a loaf of bread, and spread the jam, nice and thick, between each slice of the loaf. I'm sure you can take a loaf on the plane, cant you!!!!

Other ideas are more drastic, sorry not helpful i know!
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I would put the jam in the checked in luggage. Wrap it well with bubble wrap and a taped up plastic bag and roll it up in clothing. Clothes are a perfect packaging material and it should be fine.
  • ukdoctor
    ukdoctor Posts: 97 Forumite
    I had the same dilemma with Krispy Kreeme doughnuts some time ago.

See my thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=397309

It has a few useful link regarding foodstuffs in plane. Its the liquid content that matters. I dont know what the cut off is but I managed to take the doughnuts with me.

Marmalade does look like gel anyway so I doubt if you can take it.
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Engadine wrote: »
    Marmalade will be classed as a liquid/gel so will be subject to the restrictions in place at the moment. The only way you will get it through is if it is less than 100ml, that is currently the max amount per liquid/gel item that you are allowed, anything larger than 100ml gets confiscated.

but you could take quite a few 100ml pots in the small clear 1 litre bag. do they do sample pots of the marmalade you want to take?

(or maybe you could freeze it, and then it's solid not liquid? :D )......when i travelled last month i had to taste 6 bottle of water for making the baby's milk, but forgot the one ready made bottle that he'd not finished in the taxi! oops. i was dragged off to the side, and made to drink SMA............eerugh!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure