Returning meat to Asda? Is it possible?

My DM bought some beef casserole/braising steak from Asda, about a month before the whole scandal about horsemeat etc kicked off in full. It's been sitting in her freezer and obviously because she bought it a while back she doesnt have the receipt.

I've said I'll sort it out for her, but was wondering - would I be able to take it back to the store? She's not bothered about a refund, but I know she won't eat it and I'm not sure if there is anything in place right now where customers are concerned.

If there isnt she might as well just bin it.

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I thought it was only processed meat that was the problem, check with Asda. We had some Tesco burgers in the freezer for a few months and just had to return the empty boxes to get a refund.
  • nickcc wrote: »
    I thought it was only processed meat that was the problem, check with Asda. We had some Tesco burgers in the freezer for a few months and just had to return the empty boxes to get a refund.

Thanks. I'll give it a go as I have a freezer bag I can put them into so they'll store better, and I need to pop in there to get a few grocery items that Tesco don't stock.

The reason she's so iffy about eating it is that it's Asda own brand mark on the label.
  • I'd imagine they are only refunding the withdrawn items.
  • socks_uk
    socks_uk Posts: 2,813
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    May I ask why you think that casserole and braising steak is horse? Horsemeat is a much darker red meat than beef. Where have you heard that 'butchers cuts' of beef is anything other than beef?

May I also add that if you have become that suspicious of supermarket non-processed meat that you buy from a local butcher in future or become a vegetarian.

I don't usually buy processed food but if I happen to have eaten something that might have been recently 'contaminated' then all I can say is... I must like the taste of horse because I've liked everything I have bought!
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • I'd imagine they are only refunding the withdrawn items.

Is there a list of the withdrawn items anywhere do you know?
  • socks_uk wrote: »
    May I ask why you think that casserole and braising steak is horse? Horsemeat is a much darker red meat than beef. Where have you heard that 'butchers cuts' of beef is anything other than beef?

May I also add that if you have become that suspicious of supermarket non-processed meat that you buy from a local butcher in future or become a vegetarian.

I don't usually buy processed food but if I happen to have eaten something that might have been recently 'contaminated' then all I can say is... I must like the taste of horse because I've liked everything I have bought!

It's not me that has the concern, it's DM. :) I would happily eat it but I have said to her (for her peace of mind) I would look into it for her. I have also eaten ready meals and processed meat myself and agree with you on "liking the taste of horse". :rotfl:

In all seriousness though - bearing in mind DM's recovering from food poisoning (due to some pate) at the moment I dont honestly blame her frame of mind.
    I just wanted to get some advice on here before I go to A's tomorrow afternoon.
  • socks_uk
    socks_uk Posts: 2,813
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Well good luck with it then... I'd be tempted to make a curry out of it as you can't taste if it's chicken, lamb, beef, horse or goat once it's curried!
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • compmad1
    compmad1 Posts: 995
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would happily eat it

Why don't you eat it for her?
  • indsty
    indsty Posts: 372 Forumite
    As I happily eat beef, I really can't say that I would never eat horse. BUT .... the horse meat that has been found in products recently is not traceable. Nobody knows where it came from, had it been fed with recent antibiotics or other drugs, had it been slaughtered safely in a reasonably clean environment, had it then been stored at a correct temperature, not to mention humanely slaughtered. The actual safety of these meat products is in doubt, not only the fact that we are being misled.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure