Leaking roof - should I contact my insurance company?

Comments

• laurel7172
    laurel7172 Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    A couple of lumps of cement isn't necessarily a big job-you might find you can get a roofer to do it for less than your insurance excess.
    import this
  • Long story but basically, I have a leak after some strong winds. It came in to my bathroom through the light fitting & some down the walls. When I looked up at the roof the was a tile dislodged so my brother (who is a builder by trade) had a look, He said all the wood is rotten underneath the tiles so there was nothing to attach the tile to so he's just slotted it underneath as best he can. I have building & contents with NFU but not sure if that would cover a whole new roof, although it could be classed as wear & tear I could not possibly have known. I'm not working currently, i'm in receipt of ESA so can't afford to have it done, I wondered if there were any other options available to me?
    Any help would be most appreciated. I know we are in for some high winds & rain again this weekend so I'm dreading it! :(
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It's probably only rotten in the vicinity of the leak, so a whole, new roof may not be required - what does your brother think is the minimum required work that needs to be done to repair the roof?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Thank you for the reply maninthestreet.
    My brother didn't take a good look at it, he just wedged the slate back in & said I need a new roof. I was lucky he even did that to be honest. I have some one coming Sat to give me a quote, in the mean time I now have a leak in my kitchen which has just started to drip!!
    Oh joy.......:(
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A rotten roof would indicate poor maintenance you dont get rot over a short period some insurance companies may not pay out as they claim its poor maintenance
  • slipperyshoe
    slipperyshoe Posts: 129 Forumite
    Hi. I'm pretty sure that all insurance companies only pay out for storm damage. This is classed by whether there are gusts of wind 70+ mph. If you contact your insurance company they will ask for your postcode and time when the leaks were. They will then check the Met office to see if this was the case, if so they will pay if not they won't.
  • pcrosland
    pcrosland Posts: 55 Forumite
    edited 18 June 2013 at 10:48AM
    I would talk to these guy but they are geared to commercial business.

http://www.northernalliance.co.uk/business-insurance/roofers/
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    pcrosland wrote: »
    I would talk to these guy but they are geared to commercial business, but they have given me quality advice for my own recommendations.

You actually work for them you spammer
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    pcrosland wrote: »
    I used them to insure my solar business. & I recommended them... dont see a problem here.

Yeah right.

Have a look through his posts, he digs up old threads and posts links to the Insurance brokers.

Are you aware of this law "18. A wolf in sheep’s clothing
    Falsely claiming or creating the impression that the
    trader is not acting for purposes relating to his/her trade,
    business, craft or profession, or falsely representing
    oneself as a consumer
    ."

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/cpregs/oft979.pdf
  • franklinwhite
    franklinwhite Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2013 at 7:02AM
    You can call the public adjuster they will help you get contacted with the insurance company. They will make all the documents ready for you, take appointment for you and talk on behalf of you. They are the ones who need to be trusted in such situations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure