PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I use soya mince?

Comments

• Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    As to the argument that it is more expensive - I don't believe so, as when you buy meat mince the weight you get is the weight you get, whereas with soya mince it is usually dried so that you add water and it bulks up a lot.
  • fazer6
    fazer6 Posts: 185 Forumite
    and depending on the meat quality you'll get some fat too which I do try and drain off to be healthier so I'm throwing away what I've paid for but that won't happen with soya.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Erm, I really wanted to like it but I hated it. I made Spag Bol in the usual kind of way, softened onions and peppers (we dont have mushrooms in ours due to husband not liking them) added soya and 3/4 pint of water, added tin toms, stock cube, mixed herbs, garlic, tomato puree and kept on adding the puree but the soya had a nasty tang. Threw a load of cheese on top and ate it but not for us I'm afraid.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Luis
    Luis Posts: 637 Forumite
    Hello!

Currently in the use-up-what-I-can-find-in-the-cupboard mode, and found a bag of Soya Mince purchased from Sainsbug's ages ago on a whim for 67p, as my Granny used to use it a lot for veggie cooking. Decided to make a 'Shepherd's / Cottage' type pie with it.

Only, when reconstituted (soak in boiling water for 1 min then drain and use as normal mince), it makes about 4 times as much (says on packet 200g dry makes 800g mince.......).

So - used 100g at a cost of 33.5p, tin value toms 17p, tin Aldi beans 7p, 1 onion 10p, tatoes for mash say 25p, 2 stock cubes few pennies, squeeze tomato puree, pinch paprika and pinch chinese five spice and voila a 4 portion meal for less than a quid! And it was delicious!

Also, according to various sites I have trundled around on the internet, soya is claimed to lower cholesterol, be virtually fat free, high in fibre, reduces the risk of breast, prostrate and colon cancer etc.

PLUS - it is so easy to flavour and store.

Can't see me buying real mince again ever.
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time) :D
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I have been using soya mince for many years now as oh cannot have real mince (tho he can manage roast beef, steak etc :rolleyes:) We find it very money saving and filling.

I use it in currys, chillis, spicey pasties, shepherds pies in fact anywhere I would use the real mince. I don't really like the soya chunks though.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Lyndsay_21
    Lyndsay_21 Posts: 816 Forumite
    wow i might get some i used to buy veggie mince to bulk out real mince dishes but it is expensive where in the aisles can it be found and what roughly does it look like?
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts :heart:
  • Taste wise is it much different from quorn, which i love but its quite pricey. Do Tesco sell it?
  • Luis
    Luis Posts: 637 Forumite
    I found it in the section where they do all the bags of dry pulses etc, it was just a 200g bag of dry mince, a sort of beigey colour, little granules. It was Sainsbury's own brand - I can't see any reason why Tesco's wouldn't stock it?

I don't think it has any taste of it's own per se, which is why it is so god and versatile for cooking with, you can flavour it as you wish with stock cubes, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, herbs, spices, garlic etc etc.

Had the second portion reheated tonight, even better :D

I have used it before years ago, but had forgotten it - now I can't see me going back to meat mince ever.
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time) :D
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    my tesco don't sell it, but i can get it at holland and barrett-type stores..altho tesco do see the frozen variety..but it's far more expensive
  • swizzlebabe
    swizzlebabe Posts: 179 Forumite
    sainsburys have it 200g pack for 57p I think, saw it on web site, will have to try it. But do I mix it with real mince or on its own?
    JAN Grocery Challange £200
    Spent £154.88

FEB Grocery Challange £175 21-1 to 20-2
    Spent to date £49.13
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business