Clothing Collection Scam

Comments

• Whyme?_3-2
    Whyme?_3-2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Stop the junkmail by registering with the mail preference system. Cant remember how you do it, just know you can. It will save lots of hassle, reduce waste and hopefully force the RM to stop accepting to post them (unless they are delivered by hand from the little thieves of course)http://img.moneysavingexpert.com/icons/icon9.gif
    Unhappy
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    I telephoned Companies House about a collection company that has been collecting in my area. The company is called Seabeach Ltd. It was collecting locally as of last week. If you look on the Companies House website it says 'Active - Proposal to Strike Off'. I asked Companies House whether the strike off was voluntary or mandatory and they told me Companies House had petitioned for Strike Off and this went in the London Gazette in April. Their annual return is nearly a year overdue and apparently they have no named director or company secretary.

I have complained to both Trading Standards and the Advertising Standards Agency as there is no right of redress with this company and even if they do meet their stated aim of sending clothes to the Third World (unlikely) I don't see how they can collect things and do all this in the limited time they have left in existence.

On a wider level Clothes Aid has pointed out that the bags that they collect for Great Ormond have been stolen by some collection companies see:http://www.clothesaid.co.uk/bogus_collectors.html

And MP Jo Swinson proposed an Early Day Motion at the end of the last year to give greater teeth to the organisations fighting these people, see:
    http://edmi.parliament.uk/edmi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=31696&SESSION=885

Please, Please, Please Martin, make this your next campaign, this time they aren't our millions, they are charities, and how scummy is it to steal from them?
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Many of these are scams, however if you have clothes to dispose of (including bedding shoes bags belts etc) then try contacting your local school and see if they run a Bag2school collection. This is a proper charity that promotes recycling of clothes to the third world and pays the school PTA (which are usually charities themselves) for the collection. For small schools especially this can be a big boost as these companies pay about £250 per tonne, a large amount to some!

You will probably find as well that if you cannot get the stuff there yourself then someone will pick it up for you.

It does come to somthing though when you have to make this much effort to prevent the scammers!!
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Drive past your local rag mill, I can pretty much guarentee, the owners will be driving a Aston/Ferrari, there is big money in this business.
  • Dave_Brooker
    Dave_Brooker Posts: 1,128 Forumite
    Is this really a Scam?

As I gave them some unwanted cloths recently

It's not a scam as such, as on the leaflet it will admit somewhere that they're a business.

Apparantly due to cheap chinese clothes there's not much money to be made by charities collecting clothes anymore.

But as you say they were unwanted clothes, so they did you a favour by collecting them, and it's better that this stuff gets recycled/exported rather than just ending up in a landfill somewhere...
    The money, Dave...
  • Suzi.Q_3
    Suzi.Q_3 Posts: 89 Forumite
    Whyme? wrote: »
    Stop the junkmail by registering with the mail preference system. Cant remember how you do it, just know you can. It will save lots of hassle, reduce waste and hopefully force the RM to stop accepting to post them (unless they are delivered by hand from the little thieves of course)http://img.moneysavingexpert.com/icons/icon9.gif
    Unhappy

We get loads of these leaflets, they're all hand delivered unfortunately.
  • DKLS wrote: »
    Drive past your local rag mill, I can pretty much guarentee, the owners will be driving a Aston/Ferrari, there is big money in this business.

And it seems to be within the law aswell :(
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    On TV the other day it showed that one charity (which collects for Great Ormond Street) is so fed up with unauthorised people stealing their full collection bags, they have equipped two people with motor bikes to follow the vans to see where they end up. This has resulted in several arrests and convictions, and the charity getting a lot of their stuff back.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Col.Mastard
    Col.Mastard Posts: 248 Forumite
    I got one asking for Furniture today!!!
  • dangeroussports
    dangeroussports Posts: 1,245 Forumite
    What did you give them?
    I need to get shot of a double bed (not a good buy from Debenhams last year, I got the offer from the Grabbit board).

Cant be bothered to sell it on ebay, might put it in hte paper as a freebie.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure