How long does water stay hot in the boiler for ?

skintmummy
skintmummy Posts: 190 Forumite
Hello,

This may have been asked before, but how long do you think the hot water in a boiler stays hot for. Just wondered as we set our water to come on for about an hour morning and evening so it stays hot most of the time, wondered if I could get away with doing it once a day.

Thanks,

SM x
Skint Mummy

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 July 2009 at 3:25PM
    Try it and see ;)

I depends on how big the tank is, how well insulated it is, the ambient temperature, what temperature hot water you really need and of course how much you use between heating.

Water in my tank will stay hot (well really warm) for at least 3 days this time of year if I don't use any.

Also check the tank thermostat. Whilst you may currently have the hot water set to heat up for 2 separate hours per day, as soon as the water temperature reaches the set temperature, heating stops so you might not actually save much
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    IMO there is an over-emphasis on heat losses from a Hot Water cylinder.

The heat losses from a well insulated cylinder are published by the manufacturers and typically are between 2kWh and 3kWh* in 24 hours for water at 65C.
    So if you were to leave your water on 24/7 (and not use any) it would cost in the region of 10p a day with gas CH.
    In practice, if on a timer, and using water, the losses will be a lot less than 10p a day.

It is also pertinent to point out that the heat lost is not wasted for much of the year as it still heats the fabric of the house - and many cylinders are in an airing cupboard.

So whilst it saves to be on a timer, these savings should be put into perspective.

* For the technically minded - whilst heat loss should not strictly be given in kWhs, that is the terminology the manufacturers adopt, presumably because BTUs and calories might confuse.
  • space_rider
    space_rider Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    I have 2 teenage daughters and a 9 year old. Water is on for half hour in morning and half hour in evening. Plenty of water for 3 showers in the morning, bit of washing up and an evening bath. Water is still hot for me to have a shower late at night. Hot water set at 60 and the tank is about 3 years old.
  • i have my hot water on for half an hour in the morning. that seems to be more than enough for me to use all day as its only used for washing dishes (i do wash my hands just with cold water in case anyone points that out :p) i have an electric shower and i prefer that to having a bath.
    Debt free 3 years early :j
    Savings for house deposit - very healthy

Cash back earnt so far £14.57
  • Can I just confirm something please?

We are a family of 4. So with 4 showers, dishes and on average one washing cycle every other day how long should we put the water on timer for?

I have been running it on continuous after advice elsewhere but I can't afford to continue this.

We have a boiler for central heating and heating the water in a very well insulated tank in a very well insulated loft! I have no idea how to check the temperature or turn it down!

Any advice much appreciated
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    tamryan wrote: »
    Can I just confirm something please?

We are a family of 4. So with 4 showers, dishes and on average one washing cycle every other day how long should we put the water on timer for?

I have been running it on continuous after advice elsewhere but I can't afford to continue this.

We have a boiler for central heating and heating the water in a very well insulated tank in a very well insulated loft! I have no idea how to check the temperature or turn it down!

Any advice much appreciated

'Trial and Error' is the way to go - circumstances vary.

However don't start thinking you are going to save a lot of money by having on timed - with gas it will be a maximum of 10p a day and probably a lot less. Worth having of course but not a fortune!!

On most(but not all) CH systems there is an adjustable thermostat strapped to the tank and you can turn that down to reduce the temperature of the water. Don't have it too low.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure