Anybody know how to remove silicone sealer ?

2»

Comments

• ask66
    ask66 Posts: 98
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    phill99 wrote: »
    And who rattled your cage?

Why are you adding a non-comment to a post that was started 7 years ago and finished 18 months ago?

How incredibly rude. I just came across this thread via Google. It doesn't necessarily matter how old a thread is, or when the last reply was. If the subject of the thread is still valid, then why shouldn't people post new replies or thoughts? Surely that's the whole point of forums. Who the hell are you, phill99, to decide whether a post is worthwhile or not?
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,094
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ask66 wrote: »
    How incredibly rude. I just came across this thread via Google. It doesn't necessarily matter how old a thread is, or when the last reply was. If the subject of the thread is still valid, then why shouldn't people post new replies or thoughts? Surely that's the whole point of forums. Who the hell are you, phill99, to decide whether a post is worthwhile or not?

Evidently somebody has rattled your cage as well.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • I tied some stuff called "Sealant eater" or something like that - didn;t work very well. Since, I've used WD40 which works a treat. Spray it on, make a cup of tea and scrape the old sealant away with a blunt instrument such as a lolly stick.
  • canoe
    canoe Posts: 1 Newbie
    I had really great results from a product called Re-mov. It didn't replace scraping entirely but I was able to get off ALL the residue and it didn't make a gooey mess. It seems to be a pretty all around useful product if everything their web site (silicone-remover.com) says is true.
  • hayleyclissold
    hayleyclissold Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 31 July 2012 at 7:34PM
    Does anyone know where I can buy Re-mov from in the UK? all the links are to Canada or the US...?

thanks in advance ;)
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Hayley

If you must use this stuff then just buy the Unibond (or similar) one from any good DIY shed. Its no different. But you can't just use any of these products direct on a mass of silicone. You must scrape the majority off first (I use a blunt chisel which doesn't damage the bath in the way that a razor blade can) before using it on the residue. However, I find these chaical removers to be a waste of time - tried it just the once and gave up. You will find than once you are down to the thinnest scrape left on the bath/tiles then you can rub/scratch the residue off with your finger, then thoroughly clean the area to be sealed with meths, dry and reseal.

IMO these products are a waste of money but its your money.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    What Keystone said. However, I tried some No Nonsense silicone remover from ScrewFix and to my surprise it did dissolve the silicone sealant around the window, without scraping. It was very effective. However, it also removed the paint which I did not want. So for me it was useless. If you don't mind the paint dissolving, try it. I'd take care on uPVC in case it damages it given that it seems quite aggressive.

As an aside, I found a Harris chisel edged scraper very effective for removing the silicone sealant.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Leif wrote: »
    As an aside, I found a Harris chisel edged scraper very effective for removing the silicone sealant.
    Quite but at £4+ I'd just as soon use the old blunt woodchisel which has a similar profile and didn't cost me anything extra now its not used for woodworking. :D

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • As stated take the majority off with a blade and then I prefer to use xylene on a rag works very quickly but dont let it run and quickly wipe of the excess
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    keystone wrote: »
    Quite but at £4+ I'd just as soon use the old blunt woodchisel which has a similar profile and didn't cost me anything extra now its not used for woodworking. :D

Cheers

I am sure it works just as well. The angle does help, I find. Except I pay less than £4, my local hardware store is brilliant, big screws are 8p each, not the extortionate price charged by B&Q for a pack, and washers are cheap, blah blah blah. :D
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport