We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Why do my plants wilt in the day & perk up at night?

roses
roses Posts: 2,330
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
I have a variety of herb & veg plants in my garden. I have parsley, dill, oregano in the soil & tomato & cucumber in my plastic greenhouse.

The past few days, I have found that the cucumber & tomato wilt during the day & the leaves go saggy but during the night, they seem to stiffen up again. Then the same happens the next day....

The same also happens with my dill & oregano plant. Wilt in the day, the branches seem to sag but perk up again at night.

Also my parsley is turning yellow.

Is it too hot for them? How do I get them to stop sagging? Do they need more water? I water them twice per week.

Comments

• dizzydolly
    dizzydolly Posts: 206 Forumite
    I hope someone has an answer ,cos mine are the same.
  • dumpy
    dumpy Posts: 520 Forumite
    It's all to do with the water.

Plants don't have bones like us so the only way they stand up is if their cells are full of water. Imagine a water bed, it's nice and firm if it's full of water but would be sloppy if it is half full.

So if your plants don't have enough water their cells aren't strong enough for the plant to stand upright. So they sag.

During the day little holes all over the leaves open so the plants can take in carbon dioxide. This allows water to escape. At night these holes shut and so the plant can hold on to it's water and the cells fill up and it stops wilting and so the plant looks stiffer.

So biology lesson over, you just need some more water!

The parsley going yellow could be carrot root fly... I can't do parsely at all, Mum always used to tell me it had to go to the devil 7 times before it would grow (?strange gardening myth??) my obviously liked the warmer environment down there as it never comes back!
  • roses
    Forumite
    Thanks! i bought 2 parsley plants from b&q and planted them 5m apart. 1 is really flourishing but the other not so well. i might try moving that one tonight. will give the wilting ones some more water!
  • youngie
    youngie Posts: 999
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    the unseasonly hot sun they need more water and possibly a bit of shade
  • Check the temperature of your greenhouse. Higher heat will make the plants dry out more quickly, but at night when it goes cold the systems recover.
  • brindles01
    brindles01 Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    I would say that your greenhouse is too hot at the moment for these delicate new plants. Can you try to organise some sort of shading for the plants? I noticed the other day that some peppers I had growing in a window for maximum daylight had started to flop in the afternoon and my first thought was that they had started to succumb to some lurgy but I moved them out of direct sunlight into shade and within a couple of hours they had perked up and that is how I have kept them since and they are completely okay.
    DTD - Doing Tesco Daily - while I still have vouchers!
  • roses
    Forumite
    I take them out in the day & leave them in at night now :)

When the weather gets even hotter I think I will move the greenhouse in the shade.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure