Best prices for Rolex watches

Comments

• quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    pin wrote:
    First time I read that, thought, what???

However I think you mean by that that he didn't pay duty for the watch?

Yes that's what I meant....
    pin wrote:
    Flight, accomodation, etc AND the watch was cheaper than buying it from the UK.

..unless "etc." included IMPORT DUTY AND VAT, then it must have been smuggled in !

Naughty, naughty !
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • Viz_2
    Viz_2 Posts: 720 Forumite
    I looked into buying a Cartier watch a few years ago in Tenerife. I found the official Cartier dealers prices were a lot less than here. All to do with exchange rate and less VAT of course.
    I could of had the watch i wanted and paid for the package holiday and still have money left over on the UK price.
    Never buy a stupid dwarf -
    Its not big and its not clever.
  • langers_2
    langers_2 Posts: 61 Forumite
    I bought an Omega Seamaster when I was in San Fran at Christmas in Maceys, they had a 20% off deal and with the exchange rate at nearly $2 to £1 I ended up getting about £300 off the price.

Of course if you don't happen to be going to the US then it's not that cheap but if you are then it's a bargain
    Langers
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Viz wrote:
    I looked into buying a Cartier watch a few years ago in Tenerife. I found the official Cartier dealers prices were a lot less than here. All to do with exchange rate and less VAT of course.

No "VAT" at all as such - all but a duty free island....
    .... and if you had bought one and brought it back like "pin's" friend then you'd have joined the criminal ranks as well.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • I bought an Omega Seamaster in England after some research. I could have bought it much cheaper via eBay and various internet sites. So why buy it from a registered UK dealer? Because I got all the original documentation with it - there's no question as to its authenticity. You can buy internet Omegas but 9/10 they have their serial number scratched off so that you cannot trace where it came from. The reason they do this is because Omega do not sell their watches on the internet and if they find official sellers doing this they will not sell any more watches to them. if you want to buy an expensive watch I think you may be better advised to pay the "correct" price and buy it from an authorised dealer. Even so I still managed to get 20% off from Beaverbrooks so you still get a bargain but when it comes to spending over a grand I think you'd have more peace of mind. If you were to buy a second hand watch yourself wouldn't you want it to have good authenticity ( and therefore pay a higher price)?
    Remember - if it's too good to be true then it's almost certainly a rip-off
    I don't believe it!
  • PS I forgot to say to Quoia - very nice avatar.
    I am hoping for a victory v Leicester today as I work in Loughborough and I'm surrounded by Leicester oiks who think they are our local rivals! If we can get promoted this year and F****t relegated it would be fantasy dream land - but Leicester down as well....................bliss!!!!

Victor
    I don't believe it!
  • FF99
    FF99 Posts: 602 Forumite
    Depending on the price of watch you are after, it would definitely be worth a trip to HK. Genuine Rolex's can be had for up to 35% - 40% less than the UK.

If you were efficient you could get a flight that left London Friday at 22.00, arrived into HKG at 17.00 Sat, left HKG 01.45 Sun and arrived back into London at at around 07.00 Sun. No need to miss work and you still get half your weekend ! Only costs would be the flight (around £400) and airport transfers (HKG would only cost about £13 round-trip on the Airprot express). You would not even have any meals to buy !
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    But, again as Quoia has pointed out several times, you will be technically hit for duty and VAT on your return to the UK (unless you bought from HK duty free).
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • fatboyonadiet
    fatboyonadiet Posts: 5,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Looked at getting an expensive watch once and didn't work out that much cheaper (was thinking about Dubai) and instead bartered with Beaverbrooks and got 15% off, a few months later the watch went up in price by 25%! So got a true bargain!
    2p off is still 2p off!
  • SARKI_2
    SARKI_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    I bought a Gucci watch from

http://www.blitzwatches.co.uk/

for £505 when it was £625 in stores ... however, I notice that they don't quite offer the same bargains on Rolex's, for example, the Explorer II, rrp £2300 (which they list), they're selling it for £2500! Nice one!

Apart from that they seem to have good discounts on Omegas, and the delivery was quick too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure