PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Energy Cost of a bread machine

Options

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Could also think about getting those part-baked baguettes. Can just stick them in the cupboard til you need one, then cook it in 10 minutes. They're only about 20p for a baguette big enough for 2 lunchboxes iirc.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The answers to these questions can all be found, neatly listed, here:-

The Complete Breadmaking Collection

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • groatie_queen
    Options
    I slice and feeze the loaves I make, as there is just me to feed, freezing prevents the bread going off and I toast it from frozen.

I don't cost out the price of a breadmaker loaf as 1) one frozen loaf lasts me a long time 2) as already mentioned, keeps me away from the shops 3) I prefer knowing it's organic, low salt and no unknown additives. So I reckon it's good value for me and I enjoy the bread!
    If you have a talent, use it in every which way possible. Don't hoard it. Don't dole it out like a miser. Spend it lavishly like a millionaire intent on going broke.

-- Brendan Francis

• Cazzdevil
    Cazzdevil Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I worked out that a loaf, made with proper bread flour costs about 25p to make and produces about 8 slices.
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The only problem with homemade bread is that it doesn't last as long as it doesn't have any nasty addictive or chemicals in it.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can get about 10-12 slices per loaf from a 1 1/2lb loaf now, got myself a slicer. I make it as I need it so doesn't go off, wholemeal for me and white for the kids, instead of bulk buying and filling the freezer. I have started to use plain flour instead of bread flour for the white, probably costs me about 20 odd pence a loaf, but there is the knowing what's gone in it, priceless! Goes in the freezer if a few slices left. The money I save from popping to the shop for a loaf of bread (aswell as locally it's £1 a loaf) is worth it.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    Spendi wrote:
    I
    Me and my little one dont eat much bread, we buy a loaf and end up throwing half of it away, so i was thinking if it was cheap enough it might be easier for me to make a little loaf every few days ?

Could also think about getting those part-baked baguettes. Can just stick them in the cupboard til you need one,
    (idiopheak)

We don't eat much bread at the moment either so I am trialling making rolls in the BM and freezing. The first lot of Cheese and Onion were delish!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Spendi,

This recent thread might give you some idea of the cost of making a loaf: Energy Cost of a bread machine

I've averaged out the cost of my ingredients and find it costs between 30p and 40p for the ingredients depending on what flour I'm using and whether or not I'm adding seeds etc.

Pink
  • Cazzdevil
    Cazzdevil Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I costed out a loaf exactly but it's written in the instruction book which is at home. I'll have to double check when I finish work.

I do remember that a pizza, including toppings and mozzarella costs less than £1 for a 12"er. FAR better than ANY shop/takeaway one!!!
  • MonstersMummy
    Options
    exlibris wrote:
    (idiopheak)

We don't eat much bread at the moment either so I am trialling making rolls in the BM and freezing. The first lot of Cheese and Onion were delish!

If you slice the rolls before freezing you can use them straight from the freezer for lunchboxes and so on, as you can with sliced bread.
    Dont try slicing frozen rolls...it doesn't work...as I found out!!! :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure