PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Passata alternative - help please!

Just a quick question - I want to make a recipe which asks for a jar of passata. There was none in the supermarket when I looked yesterday, so I was wondering, could I strain some tinned chopped tomatoes, and whizz them up with some tomato puree to get something similar?
Has anyone got any recipes for passata - I've also got fresh tomatoes in the fridge if that is any good!

Comments

• Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,718
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You could indeed do that. Strain some tinned tomatoes, very finely, then add tomato puree. At least that's what I would do. That said I'm not very patient in these things which is why I've never learnt how to make proper passata.

I wish I could help you and ask my mum for her passata recipe, but she's in Italy, doesn't use computers and gets too side tracked by gossip on the phone... :o:D
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I just use tinned toms, they break down when cooked anyway. No need to strain unless you don't want the seeds - having strained loads of toms to make my own passata this summer, it's only seeds and a bit of skin left over once it's strained.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi there

I make my own in the summer when I have a glut of veggies and freeze to get us through winter :D ... you can vary it to suit but basically you cut the tomatoes into chunks, throw in a tin and drizzle with olive oil, sea salt, cracked black pepper and stick in the oven until they are soft.. the blitz (you can strain if you like but I never do)
    You can add garlic, onions, peppers etc to the veg when you roast them if you like.. I add courgettes, aubergine and all sorts -once blitzed no-one will know they are there ;)
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • nell2
    nell2 Posts: 267 Forumite
    Thank you everyone - I shall use strained tinned tomatoes for today I think, and have a go at making my own when I've got a bit more time. (Poorly children at home today!)
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I buy lots of pasata as chepaer than pasta sauces and sauce like consistancy as hubby hates tinned tomatoes and tomatoes in general but strangly likes passata.
    I was in co-op and had to pay 86p for napolina pasat agood quality but pricey. The passata in big glass bottles more pricey but in bigger suparmarkets can get it 25-50p so not sure if that worksn out cheaper.
    Although going to grow lots of tomatoes next year so will give it a go.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    If you strain tinned tomatoes then whizz them you do not need to add any tomato puree, just cook the strained tomatoes to the required consistency. Use the tomato "water" from straining the pulp to add to veg soups, it contains most of the vitamins!

HTH
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,704
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    That's interesting - because I have been struggling to get hold of passatta too...
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • whizz a tin of chopped toms, then pass it through a sieve, the only bit that doesnt go through is the pips
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure