PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making Paper Bricks / Logs

Comments

• I made a load of paper bricks as suggested by soaking, squeezing the water out and moulding them by hand. They were brill. We all enjoyed making them. It took a few days for them to dry out but it was worth it. They burnt well and give us free fuel for heating up the kettle as well as keeping us warm. :j

Everyone thought it was a great idea, it's free and its a form of recyling. We will be making them big style now. ( we wouldn't make too many just in case they didn't turn out as expected). :beer:

thanks to all Andrea x :T
    became debt free December 06
  • My conservatory gets really warm so I think I may invest in one of these log makers to recycle my shredded paper that gets thrown away, as I thought if its warm in there it should dry them out quite quickly. I guess the chimney would need cleaning more? I want to give them to a friend of mine that is an avid recycler and often gives me things so she would be impressed with a box of paper bricks.
  • Halloween Queen, I think that is a marvelous idea, your friend will be well impressed with you, and even more made up because you have put the effort into a perfect gift she will appriciate - and it is free!!!! :money:

I have had a lot of fun making mine, I'm going to give it whirl and put some essential oil in the water when soaking so it gives off an aroma when drying them out. :D

Andrea x
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Boohoo, I'd love a real fire but the people I got in to clean my chimney told me it would need lining before I could use it or fit a wood burner :(
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh dear, what have you started!

I've had to go and soak some paper, and made my first small balls which are now sitting on top of the boiler drying. If these work, I s'pose I may just have to find £20 to invest in a proper brick thingie!!

:beer:
    GC - March 2024 -
  • Well I just ordered one form scotts of stow for £25 inc postage, I intend to get quite a bit of wear out of it!
    Do you put the bricks on anything special - like a cake cooling rack or a couple of bits of wood - what stops them sticking to whatever you put them on?
  • Can toilet/kitchen rolls tubes be used to make these bricks? we seem to get through loads of them!
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I keep umming & erring about buying one of these, we never seem to have enough newspaper in the winter to start our fires but I thought this could be a summer project? The drying/storing space is my problem, Spud just seems to take up a massive ammount of room for such a small person!!! Could I dry them outside in the summer on sunny days do you think? My airing cupbaord is full to burstign & tiny and my conservatory never gets very warm. Could I keep them in the loft or would they be a fire hazard?
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • SueRob_2
    SueRob_2 Posts: 153 Forumite
    I've made fire lighters by rolling a newspaper diagonaly (sp) flattening it out, folding in half then sort of plaiting it.
    The mind is like a parachute, it works best when open
  • Halloween Queen - we used empty toilet rolls and stuffed them tight with the soggy paper, they have dried out fine and have been tested.

I have been storing mine in a big cardboard box when they have dried out.

I think it is great and have been telling my friends what I have been doing - guess what - theyr'e all dying to try it out. :j :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport