PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• WendysWorld
    WendysWorld Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    RosieBen and SW_Saver, I'm really sorry to hear about your bad news. Kind of makes you think about what's important in life really doesn't it?

Haven't done too well recently - I've gone over budget and still need to get stuff. I really don't know how people managed! I don't waste food, we eat all our left-overs and don't buy expensive cuts. I buy most of my meat from the butchers and get a veg box 3 out of every 4weeks. We also have at least 3 veggie meals a week.
    Probably need to check what we're actually buying...could be a lot of alcohol in there as I include that in my grocery totals.....:o
  • Trinny
    Trinny Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hello All

Now away on holiday.

Ended the month Just under £70. so very pleased.

Trinny
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011:)
  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Options
    Hi All
    Just popped on to update signature by £54.93. Spent extra on the wine in MrS which is on offer. Still need a few bits tomorrow. Half term looming starting Friday so all set to go horribly wrong.:eek:
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • Purpleclutterbuck
    Options
    This is a really silly question but can anyone give me the approx price of half a dozen organic eggs? because I've got chickens I've totally no idea of the price of eggs and I would like to know - many thanks (hope someone answers -fingers crossed)
    Hugs to all those that need them x
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce:D
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without:cool:
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Evening everyone

GC been completely overtaken for me by the death this afternoon of my boss and very close friend. 10 years younger than me and leaving two young children. I've been knocked sideways, and gotta go to work tomorrow and put on a face for the public :(:(:(:(

Will report spends tomorrow when I can think straight.

S Wales Saver I'm so so sorry to read your news. Massive hugs & support vibes being sent to you hon xx
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Im not sure if I have posted the recipe before -so just in case here is the scaled down for 1 version:-
    1. 1/2 onion finely sliced (red is best -but white are fine)
    2. 1tbs fish sauce
    3. 1tbs soft dark brown sugar
    4. 1 clove garlic -finely sliced
    5. 1" chunk of ginger cut into fine sticks
    • throw them all in a small sauce pan over a low heat -and cook until the sugar has dissolve and the onions have just started to soften
    • grab a square of foil and place the salmon fillet on (I use the iceland frozen, skinless, bonless ones) -
    • pile on the onion mix and wrap up tight
    • then place in a medium oven until the salmon is cooked through -tonight Im sticking it in the steamer
    It sounds an odd concoction -but the sweet, salty, hot flavour works so well with the creamy salmon .
    Oh and I find its better if made in advance and left in the fridge for a couple of hours -or overnight -great as you can prepare it the night before if you are busy and just whack it in the oven at the last minute :T

Mrs M Thank you so much for the salmon recipe. I can't stand it but my parents love all fish so I've copied & pasted the recipe ready to send to my Mum :) I've also made your coleslaw tonight and it was lovely. Penny Pincher gave me the recipe but I think she said it was yours originally IYSWIM? Thank you :A

I have updated my signature with todays shopping £65.13 which was really good considering that I bought quite a few extra things for the Easter hols. I like to spread the school hols extras out over the week before and the 1st week of the holidays if possible as it used to blow the budget doing it all as soon as they'd finished school :eek: I got extra things like pitta breads (for pitta pizzas), frozen fruit, flour, butter, eggs & sugar (for baking) and I have made a lunch menu up to stop the grazing that usually happens all day :rotfl: Nothing very exciting just things like pitta pizzas, hotdogs in buns with HM coleslaw, cooked meat & pasta salads, tuna baked potatoes, pasta & grated cheese, things on toast, sandwiches & soup ..... Any other ideas appreciated :T

I can't believe how quickly March has gone. I started work in February but even so :eek::eek::eek:
  • WendysWorld
    WendysWorld Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    This is a really silly question but can anyone give me the approx price of half a dozen organic eggs? because I've got chickens I've totally no idea of the price of eggs and I would like to know - many thanks (hope someone answers -fingers crossed)
    Hugs to all those that need them x

I pay £2.00 as I get them with my veg box. Supermarkets vary between roughly £1.70 and £2.20 for organic eggs as far as I can remember!

HTH

BM
  • Purpleclutterbuck
    Options
    Thanks ever so much BabyMother! :D
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce:D
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without:cool:
  • becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am never ordering my online shopping from asda again :mad: At the start of the month they couldn't deliver my shopping because the delivery driver did his back in, so that order was meant to be cancelled and I had another order delivered later in the week. I checked my bank statement this morning and they have charged me for both orders!!! I phoned up customer services this morning and they told me that they couldn't refund it to me today as the home delivery manager wasn't at the store today. I'm so angry, now I won't get my refund until next week, so due to there errors I'm left being very tight for money until payday! I have no idea why someone else couldn't have checked the records so that my refund could be issued today, incompetence no doubt! I did't even get I'm sorry about the mistake off the guy in customer services :mad:
    Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000
  • lizziebabe
    lizziebabe Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So sorry to hear your sad news SW Saver. Our thoughts go out to all families and friends concerned.

Had a spend in MR M today - £11.26, but did well as they have some good offers at the mo.
    Robinsons summer fruits (and other flavours) - 57p (DS's favourite, I don't buy fizzy drinks)
    Huge butternut squash - £1.00
    Mr M's own Honey nut cornflakes - £1.00 for 500gm.
    And cheap low fat own make yogurts - 4 for 29p.

Also popped into a local bakery and got a bag of lovely rolls (7) all different, some seeded and a large seeded loaf - both for £1.00, also the bread was sliced for me free :T by the nice young sales assistant. Have split it all up and put it in the freezer.

I am down to about £11 and some pence until the 31st March which is the end of my month. I think it is manageable.

TTFN and hugs to all those who need them :wave:
  • poppy-glos
    poppy-glos Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    Evening everyone

GC been completely overtaken for me by the death this afternoon of my boss and very close friend. 10 years younger than me and leaving two young children. I've been knocked sideways, and gotta go to work tomorrow and put on a face for the public :(:(:(:(

Will report spends tomorrow when I can think straight.
    sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, when i was going through a bereavement a few years ago i went into a bank (to sort out the accounts) and there was a sign up in the entrance saying the manager had died, and breif details about the circumstances, i can't remember the wording but i guess it was to inform his customers, plus for the staff to be supported without having to answer endless questions.. i thought at the time what a nice approach this was...
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure