Online Butchers

Hi does anyone use any butcher online. I have had a look at a phew however most seem more expensive that most supermarkets and my local butchers.

just wondering if there is a moneysavingexpert recommended online butcher

Comments

• skintbint_2
    skintbint_2 Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2010 at 1:20PM
    can recommend Donald Russell - slightly expensive but great when they have deals on, everything comes vaccum packed in a polystyrene box, and the meat is excellent quality.
    skintbint x
    here's tae us, wha's like us - fell few and and they're a deid"
    10k in 2010/£6988.30-69.88%@29/12/10, 11k in 2011/£897 07.04.11- fell by the wayside!!!
    12k in 2012 - £204.00 @ 4/1/12

do not confuse me with the other skintbint who joined dec2011 - i am the original bint:rotfl:
  • I use a local butchers... but they seem to cost a little more... trust me though it goes so much further!

I made 22 meatballs with 500g on mince from the butchers, normally I make 16 with 500g from a supermarket!

That's 3 meals instead of 2... for an extra 50p!

Try it for one month... if it doesn't save you... you can say you tried.

Ps. I have two butchers... one costs a fortune... the other is reasonable... and throw in a free chicken when I spent £50 last month... look around and see what you can find x
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • I use a local butchers... but they seem to cost a little more... trust me though it goes so much further!

People always say that, and the reason is always the same, so here we go again!
    I made 22 meatballs with 500g on mince from the butchers, normally I make 16 with 500g from a supermarket!

OK, you make 16 meat balls from 500g of mince from a super market. If you make them all the same size, each one will weigh 31.25g

You make 22 meat balls from 500g of mince from a butcher. If you make each one the same then each one will weigh 22.73g. That's near enough one third smaller, so it's obvious you'll make near enough one third more.
    That's 3 meals instead of 2... for an extra 50p!

Yes but each meal fewer meat balls and the meat balls are smaller.

One way you get 2 meals of 8 meat balls, each weighing 31.25g. And the other way you get 3 meals of 7 meat balls, each weighing 22.73g. With one left over to fight over.
    Try it for one month... if it doesn't save you... you can say you tried.

I'd rather not. I've seen many try it and the only way they can explain why butchers meat "goes further" is by saying they use less.

But you can buy meat from the supermarket, use less, and get the same effect for less money.
  • I find supermarket meat virtually inedible especially the steak mince as it is all gristly. Butchers meat is better because it is fresher and more likely to be local. The place I buy mine from is actually cheaper than a supermarket (chicken breast £5 a kilo, steak mince £3.50 a kilo) so it pays to shop around.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,848
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I find supermarket meat virtually inedible especially the steak mince as it is all gristly. Butchers meat is better because it is fresher and more likely to be local. The place I buy mine from is actually cheaper than a supermarket (chicken breast £5 a kilo, steak mince £3.50 a kilo) so it pays to shop around.

I agree. With rare exceptions, the only supermarket meat I will touch comes from Waitrose - and even then I prefer the meat from the best of the local butchers or farm shops. In particular, I find both Sainsbury's and Tesco's pork and beef a complete waste of time - though an honourable exception goes to Tesco's Finest pork sausages and (for some strange reason) their Finest free range chickens, which are often really good.

Supermarkets do a lot of things right - but I do wish they'd stop selling shoe leather in place of meat!
  • katycocoa wrote: »
    I've used this company a few times now and have been pleased with the meat and prices

http://www.meatpacks.co.uk/

Thanks for that they look very good, might have an order of them next month will of course report back :)
    "You can measure a man's character by the choices he makes under pressure"
    Sir Winston Churchill
  • decided to give meatpacks a try thanks will report back to advise on how good the meat is
  • People always say that, and the reason is always the same, so here we go again!

But you can buy meat from the supermarket, use less, and get the same effect for less money.

Okay... very negative... but I always make them the same size... it's to do with the added water inside the meat and the other rubbish at the supermarkets etc etc!

Plus the butchers meatballs were more filling... and as we have them regularly we should know!

Try the same with pork chops and chicken!

How can you judge if you are not willing to try!
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • I've tried a few of the online butchers available as I was sick of rubbish supermarket meat.

The best ones I have found are Douglas Willis you will find them advertising on google. I have tried the others, Donald Russell etc but it all comes frozen and I prefer to have it delivered fresh then I can decided what/when to freeze it. Also the pack sizes are way to big for what I want

Douglas Willis also have next day delivery if you order before 1p.m, which the others don't, and I have used them several times for an impromtu bbq or meal :)

The meat has always been great quality - particularly the steaks! It isn't expensive either and great value as it doesn't seem to shrink when you cook it like the supermarket stuff. My husband won't let me buy meat anywhere else now!

Hope this helps

rach
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    edited 16 September 2010 at 4:58PM
    Found an offer via quidco on Donald Russell, have a looksy on Quidco for the offer plus 10% cashback
    Premium Steak Selection plus Mini Burgers

Exceptional Value
    spacer.gif
    Enjoy 7 generous servings of finest quality grass-fed, naturally reared steak. At this exceptional price, it costs the same as ordinary meat.

Plus 12 Mini Gourmet Steak Burgers, FREE - Perfect for the barbeque!
    spacer.gif
    Box contains:
    2 Fillet Steaks, individually packed (minimum weight 160g)
    2 Ribeye Steaks, individually packed (minimum weight 250g)
    1 Pav! Rump Steak, individually packed (minimum weight 170g)
    4 Pav! Rump Medallions, in pack of 4 (minimum weight 280g)

Servings: 7 servings plus 12 burgers
    [STRIKE]£57.00[/STRIKE] £29.00
    Plus FREE standard delivery
    Save £33.00
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure