Bi Polar & Dla

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello tracie,

About 10 years ago I was applying for IIDB and I telephoned the Benefits Agency. I was told by the lady on the telephone to apply for DLA as she thought I would be eligible. She also told me to fill in the form as though it was a bad day, this was a long time ago. I do not think it is fraud as dmg24 and sh are saying. They want to know your worst day but you do not want to say that every single day is doom and gloom, at least I didn't because I was trying to stay positive so I told them that some days were better but still not ok or normal.

By doing it on your worst day, you're saying you need more help than you do. Sorry, but I think it's disgusting when people do forms on their worst days, yet some of us (like myself) do the forms properly and have to appeal.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • I have bipolar and i get HRC and LRM
    Is a Bipolar bear :p
  • Indie_Kid
    ????????????????????????:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry? You think mental health problems are funny or something?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • sh1305 wrote: »
    Many of us on here (myself included) have mental health issues too and do understand that conditions do vary.
    why u calling me a fraud then for writing varies varies varies.im only telling the truth! ur lying if u say u have 2 good days then u might have only 1 or even 7 good days.this illness is unpredictable and the forms are not designed for people with mental health issues as they expect u to know amount of days etc u need help etc.so by writing varies im telling truth more than u are.
  • dmg24 wrote: »
    Yes, I receive DLA for it. However, I filled out the forms honestly, describing both my bad and better days, and stating how often each type of day happens.

If you are not committing fraud, then you will have no problem calling the DLA Team on Tuesday and explain to them how you completed the form. They will send you a new form which you can complete honestly.
    it must be nice to be able to say HONESTLY how often each type of day happens.as far as im concerned and many othere people on here im unable to state how often each type of day happens.not sure if ur aware but if u google bipolar u will see tht their are many different variants of it. ie some people are stable for long periods of time and othres like myself suffer labile moods and cycle rapidly many times a day,so would thk u to retract ur statements calling me a liar and a fraud as these are uncalled for and this is not a site for arguing on its a site designed to help people!
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have an illness that varies (not mental health), I used to keep a diary of my condition which I would refer to while doing DLA forms, i'd also enclose relevent pages with the application. This meant that I didn't commit fraud as I was able to say things like "over the last 3 months I have lost conciousness on average 4 times per week, on my worst day I had 9 episodes of unconciousness, on good days I will not experience any unconcious episodes at all though most days (5 days per week) I experience dizzy spells".

Lots of advice places advise keeping a diary in this manner prior to filling out DLA applications.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    And filling in a form with only your worst days is fraud, you should have read the information book that came with the form prior to filling it in, I'm pretty sure it says this in there.
  • Indie_Kid
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    I have an illness that varies (not mental health), I used to keep a diary of my condition which I would refer to while doing DLA forms, i'd also enclose relevent pages with the application. This meant that I didn't commit fraud as I was able to say things like "over the last 3 months I have lost conciousness on average 4 times per week, on my worst day I had 9 episodes of unconciousness, on good days I will not experience any unconcious episodes at all though most days (5 days per week) I experience dizzy spells".

Lots of advice places advise keeping a diary in this manner prior to filling out DLA applications.

I have an unpredictable condition and asked someone how I approach this with DLA. They said that they did what you did - they said (I think they did it over a year) that they kept a diary and said how often this and that happened.
    why u calling me a fraud

where did I say that? You're the one saying that your form was filled in on a bad day.
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • skipsmum
    skipsmum Posts: 707 Forumite
    edited 28 August 2010 at 9:30PM
    Hi OP,
    I have bipolar. I get low rate care DLA. When I am very poorly I stay in hospital so cant claim, when I am well, like at the moment, I can function pretty well but I am disorganised and quite haphazard. I haven't cooked a successful meal in over a year, and struggle to keep appointments (missed DSs college enrolment yesterday because I was sure it was at 3.20....it was 9.50!) I havecarer help with shopping and meal planning and DH does most of the cooking.
    To whoever asked about working with bipolar, I have been told Im unemployable at the moment as I can be unpredicatable and have spent such a lot of time in hospital. However I have met bipolar people who hold down full time jobs and families - I doubt at that point there would be many care or mobility needs. Im going to college 2 days a week from september and I have a support package with several hours mentoring and help with organisation but I doubt there would be any jobs that provide this type of support.

Have looked at first post and it was 2008....why ressurect such an old thread?
    With Sparkles! :happylove And Shiny Things!
  • GlasweJen wrote: »
    And filling in a form with only your worst days is fraud, you should have read the information book that came with the form prior to filling it in, I'm pretty sure it says this in there.
    i didnt fill in forms stating only my worst days but when it came to amount of help i need and how often i wrote varies! not only do i have to cope with my mental health but i also have a 1 and 2yr old to deal with too.writing varies is not fraud as my condition does vary and even when i do have good days they can change in a click of the finger.im sure the people who read the forms understand this and take this into consideration.i do mention my good days too but these are far and few between.pls evry1 stop arguing with me and evry1 else all are conditions vary and we all fill in our forms differently.the forms stress me out and take me 2 or 3 days to complete.they are not designed for varying needs so i have to take time to explain my condition in detail.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure