PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Good afternoon All

The weather is sticky and it looks like rain but hope not as I have three loads of washing on the line,,

We are going to see GET SMART next monday,, freebie with see film first,, we havent been for a long time so it will make a change and get us out of the rut we are getting into,,

have the BM on at the moment for DH just plain white bread,, I gave to crust of the old loaf to the Koi and they did enjoy it ,, they make the most wonderful noises as they are sucking it ,,,

well I will get off now and get something else done

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Lots of business for Mr M from us all then ;)
    Altho I didn't need anything I still went in with my mum and ended up spending £5.50 on the 50p stuff for a BBQ at the weekend (just told DH that news LOL) and some yoghurt as I have run out of starters for my easiyo :) Only problem is now I need to get another freezer asmine is already chocca!!! Ooops :D
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    An alternative to Twinks! These are less sweet and more crunchy, I think.

Ingredients:
    275g/ 10oz oats
    100g/ 4oz plain flour
    120gm/ 4oz caster sugar (original recipe said 15ogm/ 5oz. I have taken it as low as 80gm)
    1/2 tsp bicarb
    225gm/ 8oz softened butter/ soft marg

original recipe also said to add 1 tsp salt, but it really doesn't need that AT ALL!

Whizz oats in a food processor until fine (I usually keep some back) Add all other ingredients and mix to form a dough. I then add back in my non blitzed oats.

If you don't have a food processor just mix everything all at once by hand - still works ok.

Recipe says to roll and cut out shapes - I just take blobs and flatten onto a baking tray. Makes about 40 good sized biscuits, about 65 smaller ones.

Bake at gas mark 4/ 180 (170 for fan assisted) recipe says 15-20 mins. I go for about 12! Cook until pale golden and slightly firm.

Keep for about a week in a 'tupperware' box and also freeze well :D:D

Gt
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 28 January 2014 at 9:26AM
    My kids love these. This was a recipe from their school canteen (always worth asking the school canteen staff for recipes for the kids favourite items!)

INGREDIENTS:
    3oz icing sugar 85g
    6oz marg 170g
    5oz plain flour 140g
    2oz custard powder 55g

• Cream icing sugar & marg
    • add flour & custard powder & mix to dough
    • Form into a sausage shape & chill in plastic bag/ cling film for 2 hours
    • remove from plastic and slice into 24 'rounds'
    • place on baking tray & bake for about 10 mins at 180
    yum yum - we're going to make these tomorrow.

Gt
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • mumoffour77
    mumoffour77 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Ok, I went shopping today in MR Ts.....I spent £37.15
    cheerios were on bogof @£2.78 and my kids eat them loads!!!!
    I got a couple of chickens too as they were reduced
    Gales lemon curd is still on for 20p a jar so I got 5....best before march 2009, probably used well before that!!!!
    I bought tesco value oats last week @ 0.59 for 1kg they are still the same price....but beside them was superfast oats 2kg for £1.01 I know its a small saving.....but its still a saving esp for twinks hobnobs or greent's version!!!!
    Im going to update my sig!!!!! when i find my spending diary:(
    :jIm going to be frugal:j
    :DIm going to be frugal:D
    ;)Im going to be frugal;)
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................:rotfl:
  • greent - thanks for biscuit recipe I have loads of custard powder that needs using before we move so will try these with the kids.

Have just completed Curry Queens curry base,looks good.

Have a chicken ready to roast later with dauphinoise potatoes and veg,will keep chicken for curry and then thaish chicken soup.

OH and dd9 made a lemon cheesecake very successfully with a little pointing from me,had to buy another cream cheese and f & v today will update total after this.Still doing well,OH even told neighbours how well the MSE challenge was going!!!!

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • NW-ANGEL
    NW-ANGEL Posts: 299 Forumite
    turbo5019 wrote: »
    Just popped on to update sig. When to MrM's today again but only spent £6 on the 50p items I took my mother with me so we got 4 pks chicken, 4pks burgers & 4 pks sausages. So now I have 80 sausages, 40 burgers and 10pks of chicken. when I put them in freezer I also noticed I still have 20 chicken breasts, 3 pks 1kg mince and enought brad to last till xmas so I don't think I will need anymore meet for a good few months.

Anyone tell me how to make sausage rolls please I have sausages and puff pastery but is there any thing else you put in with the sausages?

:o sorry if im being a bit dim but what is MrM's? and where do are these 50p item?
    many thanks
    kel
    x
  • mumoffour77
    Oh and DS2 noticed a receipt on the floor at the tills and came over to me and whispered "mummy when a receipt says apply for a clubcard today, does that mean the person didnt claim their points?" I said "yes" whilst i was paying for the groceries and DS 1&3 were packing.....I never thought anymore about it until we were back in the car and he produced the receipt that he found and said i think its worth a pound in deals!!!! Im so proud of my money saving child!!!!! :)
  • mumoffour77
    Mr Ms is Morrisons!!
    hope this helps!!
  • Thanks for the recipes Greent, I am off tohunt out if I have any custard powder ;)

EDIT - No I don't :(

NW-Angel - Mr M's is morisson, Mr T - tesco etc the 50p items are listed somewhere if you do a search.

I have today made 2 bread puddings as I discovered I had a whole drawer in my freezer dedicated to HM bread crusts :eek: that I had saved for crumbs and bread pud!!
    Also the BM has been on and I am making a double batch off potatoes - one to roast fro tea tonite and the other to freeze so I can have a lazy roast another evening!

Oh my poor freezer, I had to get out a HM crumble for pud tonite so I could get all my 50p stuff in there but don't know where my roasties will go :confused:

Oh well I might just have to make another bread pud and start a stall down on the seafront to see if I can sell it :rotfl:
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure