Winter Fuel allowance over 60

If I understand correctly anybody over 60 can claim the above allowance.

It is not means tested - you are 60 or over then claim it - even millionaires.

Ring 08459 151515 or http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/winterfuel/

The quote from website is asfollows
What is it?
A Winter Fuel Payment is a one-off payment to help older people with their winter heating bills.

Do I qualify?
To get a Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2003/2004 you need to be 60 or over in the qualifying week of 15 - 21 September 2003 and normally living in Great Britain or Northern Ireland in that week. However, some people cannot get a Winter Fuel Payment.

Payments may continue if you leave or have left Great Britain or Northern Ireland. For more information, see our section on Winter Fuel Payments for people living in the European Economic Area or Switzerland .

People who cannot get a Winter Fuel Payment
You will not be able to get a payment if, during the qualifying week:

you are in hospital receiving free in-patient treatment and have been receiving that treatment for more than 52 weeks

your partner is getting Minimum Income Guarantee, paid through Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, and is entitled to a Winter Fuel Payment for both of you

you are in custody under sentence

you are subject to immigration control and not eligible for help from the Department for Work and Pensions. For example, an asylum seeker who claimed asylum at the port of entry after 3 April 2000

you are living in a care home and have been doing so throughout that week and the previous 12 weeks and get help with your costs through the Minimum Income Guarantee paid through Income Support or income-based Jobseeker's Allowance. Care homes include residential care homes, nursing homes, local authority residential accommodation and Ilford Park Polish Resettlement Home.

Hopes this helps -I am off to tell my father.

LM :)

Comments

• In many cases this is paid automatically but it is better to check.
    Val :)
  • Quite right but my father did not get it last year which is why it caught my attention.

You always here much unclaimed benefits there are.

LM :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I qualify for the allowance this year. The form came automatically and I am told to expect the cash in November.:)
  • flossie_2
    flossie_2 Posts: 142 Forumite
    You need to apply before the deadline of 31 March!!! We found out about this allowance by a chance remark made by a friend, unfortunately after that date last year. We did apply and were told it would be refused but we could appeal. We have now been through the appeal process and still refused. Apparently people on any kind of benefit or state pension receive this automatically (we got it for this year) but the onus is on the individual to find out what you're entitled to. So basically if you still work even though you're 60+, you need to apply for it. There was no deadline in previous years, so if you qualified but didn't claim, your application will probably be successful. I think this is grossly unfair but it seems there you go. How many other people are entitled to benefits and don't get them because they're not already in the system? Huh!
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I just had a look at the website from the first post and the actual date is 30th March (see quote from website below):

"All claims for winter 2003/2004 must be received by 30 March 2004."

(Not that one day should make that much difference unless you're really cutting it fine!)
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • klondyke
    klondyke Posts: 463 Forumite
    You need to get divorced ;D as only one of married couple gets it :'(
  • flossie_2
    Yeah my apologies for getting the date wrong. I was just coming on to amend it to 30 March! I wouldn't be too sure about one day late being OK! Our situation is that my husband took early retirement so doesn't get state pension or any kind of benefit so he's not on the system. By the time we found out about this the deadline had passed - tough luck. The response to our appeal was that there was a computer discrepancy between the department's records and the electoral roll - I know for sure we're on the electoral register therefore their records must be wrong - bottom line is we're penalised for their computer records. I could go on about this all day - sorry. Noticed David Davis MP reminding people to claim, quoting a case identical to ours. Question is, who gets the dosh earmarked for all the 60+ people its aimed at.
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Wow, Gordon Brown has just announced that this year the over 70s will get an extra £100 in their winter fuel allowance and over 80s will get an extra £200.  :D

Surely you can still apply if you are after the 30th March deadline, it's just that you don't get your payment when the bulk of them go out. My mam's friend applied and she was late in putting in her application but she will still get it.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • flossie_2
    Smiley Mum the deadline is absolutely the 30th March for people who don't get the application form automatically i.e. those not in receipt of state pension or other benefits. Although most people aged 60 on a certain date (I've forgotten it at the moment) are eligible for this, the onus is on those not in receipt of pension/benefits to find out about the benefit, obtain an application form and get it in by 30/3. I have personal experience of this process; it even went to appeal, and they are not budging >:( I understand this deadline has just been introduced (I think last year) so people can claim for previous years but not last year (and presumably subsequent years). The person I know was refused for the first year they became eligible, but got it for this current winter and will get it automatically in future, now he's on the records.

Perhaps your friend got the form automatically or received the payment in previous years? If not, I'd be delighted to know more about it ...

SO, to anyone who is eligible for the first time and not getting state pension/benefits, GET THE FORM IN FAST.
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Surely you can still apply if you are after the 30th March deadline, it's just that you don't get your payment when the bulk of them go out. My mam's friend applied and she was late in putting in her application but she will still get it.

Apologies, Flossie, I should've typed -

but will she still get it, not she will still get it, sorry. :(

I've just taken a read of the site and it looks unlikely she will get it. This was her first year of applying so it'll be like it was in your case. Sorry.

Also the extra cash for the pensioners is for covering the Council Tax, talk about giving it to you with one hand and taking it away with the other. :(
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure