Old radiator output vs new radiator

Currently I have in my kitchen an old double radiator (no fins) - size is approx 590mm by 800mm.

My mum is redoing her bathroom and is replacing her radiator with a heated towel radiator so has a reasonably new radiator I could use. It's a single panel, single fin of approximately 600mm by 700mm.

Can anyone tell me if I lose/gain much heat by replacing my old double radiator with no fins with a new single radiator with single fins?

Comments

• I think you will loose heat output with a smaller single radiator, the fins won't make that much difference.
    I have a lot of problems with my neighbours, they hammer and bang on the walls sometimes until 2 or 3 in the morning - some nights I can hardly hear myself drilling ;)
  • *j*
    *j* Posts: 319
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you search radiators on the wickes.co.uk website they give you the output of the various sized radiators in watts. A double approx 600 x 800 gives out about 1400w, and the single 600 x 700 is about 700w.

I realise the towel rail would add a bit to that.

The output drops by about a half, but do you need 1.4 kw to heat the bathroom? Is the original double rad oversized??

*j*
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    *j* wrote: »
    If you search radiators on the wickes.co.uk website they give you the output of the various sized radiators in watts. A double approx 600 x 800 gives out about 1400w, and the single 600 x 700 is about 700w.

All the new radiators are convector radiators which I can find out the output for fairly easily.

My question was what was the ouput of an old, non convector type radiator which is no longer made.
    I realise the towel rail would add a bit to that.

The towel rail is nothing to do with me. It's my mother who is replacing a convector radiator with a towel rail.
    The output drops by about a half, but do you need 1.4 kw to heat the bathroom? Is the original double rad oversized??

I'm not heating the bathroom - my mother is.

I'm heating the kitchen.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,430
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can also find the heat output for older radiators fairly easily too.

Page four of this document A Guide to Radiator Sizes and Heat Output covers the old 'without fins' radiators.
    The heat output is in watts per metre length.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,397
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    KeithP wrote: »
    You can also find the heat output for older radiators fairly easily too.

Page four of this document A Guide to Radiator Sizes and Heat Output covers the old 'without fins' radiators.
    The heat output is in watts per metre length.

Thanks - that's exactly what I'm after.
  • *j*
    *j* Posts: 319
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'll need to remember to read more carefully.

That will teach me to post replies at 10:30 on a Saturday evening!!:)

*j*
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    for non convectors the output is generally proportional proportional to area, the the old 750 high single panel ones are about 1 kW per metre length, making it double panel adds about 60% and fins will add another 25%

Your existing one will be about (590 x 800 / 750 x 1.6) = 1 kW, the new one will be about (600 x 700 / 750 x 1.25) = 700 watts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure