MSE News: Royal Mail to start leaving post with neighbours

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    HappyBunny wrote: »
    There are somethings I wouldn't mind being left with a neighbour and others that I wouldn't want to be left.

Perhaps we could add "Opt in" as part of our address, so that when we order a particular item we can specify whether it goes to a neighbour or not.

already exists
    Its called Safeplace,and is only offered with Tracked at the moment
    As for writing on the address,well thats not how it works
    the recipient opts in/out of leave with neighbour
    The sender writes an address
    ergo whats written on the package doesnt matter
  • when you give the address to the sender, you could write opt in as part of it - simples!!
  • custardy
    Forumite
    HappyBunny wrote: »
    when you give the address to the sender, you could write opt in as part of it - simples!!

sigh. once again I will write it
    The sender writes the address.
    The recipent decides on LWN
    So by your system. If you dont opt out,the sender can then over rule that?
    So if the package says "leave on the doorstep"
    That should over rule your request to leave with a neighbour?
  • My point ^ is pretty much made. CUSTARDY! STEP AWAY!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • custardy
    Forumite
    edited 28 September 2012 at 12:53PM
    Custardy - You are coming across as incredibly confrontation. Are you are RM employee or something?
    Even if you are, I'd suggest perhaps taking a step back. You've made 10 posts on the previous page alone!

No,I replied to posts.
    now on ignore
    ahhhhh
  • grampyalan wrote: »
    What a stupid thing to do. I do not want my mail delivered to anyone but me. :mad:

Personal "mail" (post) IE letters, bank statements, magazines, bills etc etc WILL NOT BE DELIVERED TO YOUR NEIGHBOUR!!!!

The deliver to a neighbour is for OVERSIZED items that do NOT fit through your letter box, IE boxes and large parcels.

This is to allow you to collect from your neighbour later on when you arrive home, if you ve been out, and the depot is now closed!

No one NEEDS to take in any parcels, you can easily say id rather not take that, and it will be returned as normal!

(Other than the self admitted posties replying on here).

Seriously the people on here have ZERO and i mean ZERO idea or clue what it is like to work in a royal mail depot, they THINK they do, but they dont, trust me it would open your eyes to see whats exactly involved in getting your items and mail to you in a 24 hour time frame!
  • Personal "mail" (post) IE letters, bank statements, magazines, bills etc etc WILL NOT BE DELIVERED TO YOUR NEIGHBOUR!!!!

The deliver to a neighbour is for OVERSIZED items that do NOT fit through your letter box, IE boxes and large parcels.

This is to allow you to collect from your neighbour later on when you arrive home, if you ve been out, and the depot is now closed!

No one NEEDS to take in any parcels, you can easily say id rather not take that, and it will be returned as normal!

(Other than the self admitted posties replying on here).

Seriously the people on here have ZERO and i mean ZERO idea or clue what it is like to work in a royal mail depot, they THINK they do, but they dont, trust me it would open your eyes to see whats exactly involved in getting your items and mail to you in a 24 hour time frame!

The irony of your name is not lost on me..

You attack the banks yet have ZERO and I mean ZERO idea or clue what it is like to work in retail banking, you THINK you do, but you dont
  • custardy
    Forumite
    The irony of your name is not lost on me..

You attack the banks yet have ZERO and I mean ZERO idea or clue what it is like to work in retail banking, you THINK you do, but you dont

which posts are you referring to?
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,827
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    I welcome this move and will willingly take in things for neighbours as I do for other companies. It really annoys me when I get a red card knowing that my neighbour was in and would have taken it. For those who feel they can't trust their neighbours then opt-out but let the rest of us not have the trouble of going to a depot for our post.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There is a lot to be said for purpose built apartments with a concierge sitting in reception.

Perhaps we can elect a couple of houses as "trusted" recipients.
    Probably retired people who are in a lot, and pay them something for the trouble. So your opt-in sticker would show a couple of alternative addresses you trust.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure