PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stretching leather shoes?

I need to stretch a pair of shoes, but can't afford to buy special stuff so is there an OS way?

They are leather uppers but lined with synthetic.

I am a 5 1/2 which no-one sells any more, and these are a 5 so only just too small. Sadly a 6 is always too big!

Any ideas?
:cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
:heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi skintchick,

Have a look at these older threads which may help:

How can I stretch a pair of trainers?

Stretching Football Boots?

Pink
  • I haven't recently had to stretch shoes in length. I bought a pair which were too tight (the shoe itself wasn't too tight, but the band across the foot was, if you see what I mean).

I got the shoes to 'give' quite a bit by stuffing a water bottle into each one - you know, the sort of bottle you buy for about 50p with 500ml of spring water or carbonated drinks inside. Might this help with stretching? I can see that if stretching the 'band' as above didn't help, you might get somewhere by cutting the bottle and forcing it into the shoe (depends on design of shoe and how stiff the leather is - you don't want to deform the shoe visually!)

HTH

Oooo, Pink's posted while I was writing this! :p
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    I know it's too late for the ones you've got but have you tried on a pair of size 6s but with an innersole which makes them a bit snugger? Marks and Spencers still sell half sizes as I'm a 6 1/2 and often end up getting shoes/boots there.

The best way to stretch them is to wear them for short periods around the house maybe with thick socks on.
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I have Carol, and they still slip off as I walk :(

I know M&S do half sizes as do Clarks, but I don't usually like their shoes - no offence to anyone.

WIll try the thick socks
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • cardtart_2
    cardtart_2 Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    You can stuff them with newspaper overnight which might help with the width but I would imagine it to be almost impossible to make them longer???
    bye hoo
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    cardtart wrote:
    You can stuff them with newspaper overnight which might help with the width but I would imagine it to be almost impossible to make them longer???

I'd agree with that too.

If you cant stretch the width then you can buy shoe stretch spray which is £2.50 from Clarks but you may be able to get it cheaper elsewhere. It softens the leather and then you wear them and they stretch to the shape of your feet. It just speeds up the process really.

I know that you can take shoes to be stretched to the cobblers. Our local timpsons one charges about £1 i think - well, thats what customers have told me (- I work in a shoe shop icon7.gif )
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • climbgirl
    climbgirl Posts: 1,504 Forumite
    Leather shoes/boots will stretch and mold themselves to the shape of your feet when they're wet. I used to spend a lot of time on a farm with horses and whenever we got new riding boots the first thing we did was put them on, dunk our feet in the trough and walk around for the day to break them in! Once they dry, they'll have stretched and molded to your feet :) Wet socks will work the same way.

I'm not sure if the synthetic inner would make a difference though.....(and it can feel a bit yuck!)
  • cheekymole
    cheekymole Posts: 3,416
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    May sound odd and maybe a bit weird but this is how we used to do it the forces with our boots.
    Stand in a hot bath with them on your feet
    I haven't got one!
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    I can remember doing that with levis in the 70s! Lying down of course.
  • cheekymole
    cheekymole Posts: 3,416
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lol :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    I haven't got one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income