Cheap Granite Worktops

Comments

• CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

Sorry to go off topic but what have you got on the wall to the right of the cooker wall? Only if this is a bank of tall units I would put the fridge in this wall, also Do you really want a range cooker? In a modern kitchen you would be much better off and it would look much better having built in. Put the ovens in the bank of tall units to the right, then I would only put those half height wall units on the left wall and nothing on the back wall except a nice modern cooker hood centrally over the hob.

I hope I haven't offended you with my ideas!

CK
  • Shaanbles
    Shaanbles Posts: 228 Forumite
    CKdesigner wrote: »
    Hi

Sorry to go off topic but what have you got on the wall to the right of the cooker wall? Only if this is a bank of tall units I would put the fridge in this wall, also Do you really want a range cooker? In a modern kitchen you would be much better off and it would look much better having built in. Put the ovens in the bank of tall units to the right, then I would only put those half height wall units on the left wall and nothing on the back wall except a nice modern cooker hood centrally over the hob.

I hope I haven't offended you with my ideas!

CK

To the right are patio doors to the garden so can't put anything there!
    So I only have two walls to play with and the island. Also the wall with the range is only 53cm wide before the patio doors start.

Not offended at all; I need all the advice I can get!
  • CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Shaanbles wrote: »
    To the right are patio doors to the garden so can't put anything there!
    So I only have two walls to play with and the island. Also the wall with the range is only 53cm wide before the patio doors start.

Not offended at all; I need all the advice I can get!

Oh!

In that case then you could leave the fridge where it is, built in ovens in a tall unit next to it and the half height wall units to the corner. Then the hob and extractor on its own on the back wall.

Good luck

CK
  • Shaanbles
    CKdesigner wrote: »
    Oh!

In that case then you could leave the fridge where it is, built in ovens in a tall unit next to it and the half height wall units to the corner. Then the hob and extractor on its own on the back wall.

Good luck

CK
    I thought of that; but then I would have very little worktop area which is one of the things I need/want.

Although I think I will go for an American Fridge Freezer - was just worried it might be a bit overpowering but the LG black ones DO look good!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 May 2011 at 10:27PM
    I'd rather see two layers of half height units or none. Seems a bit odd to have a short layer everywhere when you could have a double layer and a nice free wall.

You can't get American Fridge Freezers to sit flush with door fronts unless you pay megabucks, so they always look bulky and useless. It's one of those size over substance fashions that the Americans are so good at.

Plumbing a sink to the island is incredibly hard with trying to negotiate the required drops to stop water sitting in the pipes. It's a nice idea but I don't personally see the benefit of having a sink there for the extra money it costs. It would be easier to place the electrics for an induction hob to the island (will still involve pulling up or cutting into floors) or move the sink to the outside wall and use your island for working space.

I like the idea of painting the walls red and I like the white island (well, I would!)
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Shaanbles
    Having a wall clear would certainly make it easier to design and get units to fit! However I was going to have a glass splashback below the wall cabinets all the way round - won't this look odd if I don't have units on one wall and it then just stops half way up?

I wasn't going to put the hob in the island as I have a 4yr old and think it's too dangerous. In terms of plumbing/electrics shouldn't be a problem as everything had to be ripped out because of the burst pipe damage over Christmas. The floor has to come up to put new gas pipes down.

Good point on American fridge sticking out!!

Decisions, decisions so many to make :(
  • Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good place near Epping in Essex? Looking for Apollo Quartz and to also include fitting.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick.
  • Shaanbles
    Plumbing a sink to the island is incredibly hard with trying to negotiate the required drops to stop water sitting in the pipes. It's a nice idea but I don't personally see the benefit of having a sink there for the extra money it costs. It would be easier to place the electrics for an induction hob to the island (will still involve pulling up or cutting into floors) or move the sink to the outside wall and use your island for working space.

Insurance company has finally agreed that building works can commence! So I have about 10 days to decide on final kitchen choice and worktops.

Definitely putting sink on side wall - thanks DG for your advice

Have been talking with Roktops, Bespoke Surfaces and Diapol and have no idea who to go with! Diapol are much better on price but I'm nervous that I'll get the measurements wrong and then it'll be double the price when they come round!

One question I can't get a definite answer to is how wide is a slab of Quartz? I have a L shape 2000mm x 1200mm at longest points (so 1400x600 for the edge outward facing) and I'm wondering if I can get one slab and have the "L" cut out of it so there's no need for a join. That's the one thing that has previously swayed me towards Corian/Hi-Macs is its seamless.
  • Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Quartz is manufactured in a standard size of 3000mm x 1400mm so your 2000mm x 1200mm can easily be produced as a single piece.

Out of the three you mention above Bespoke Surfaces have by far the most sophisticated equipment - CNC manufacturing equipment, they will do everything start to finish.

Diapol will manufacture in Estonia to Measurements.

Roktops will sub contract the manufacturing to a third party then fit themselves.

There is nothing wrong with any of the above approaches, just three different ways to end up at the same result.
  • Shaanbles
    Thanks Alan that's really useful to know - the join was really bothering me!!! I'm now 90% sure I will go quartz and probably go with Diapol as they seem to be over £1000 cheaper than Bespoke.

Roktops still haven't come back to me with an estimate for the Corian and if the outsource the quartz then I think I'd prefer to use a company that does it themselves in case of problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure