Anyone know how long a child's first passport takes?

Hi,
I just wondered if anyone has put in an application for a child's first passport recently.
I've done it usung check and send at the post office but I'm anxious that I haven't left enough time. I applied last Thursday and we go away in just over 3 weeks.
How long is it taking at the moment?
Thanks
Vicki

Comments

• *Dusty*
    *Dusty* Posts: 59 Forumite
    I believe check and send with the PO guarantees it in a week. Even without that, passport turnarounds are usually fairly quick.

Either way, you should be fine, have a nice time!!

:)
    CC Debt October[STRIKE]£9000[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£7000 [/STRIKE]all finally on 0% Digging at the same pile but this month I've got a bigger shovel :cool:
    July 2012 finally DEBT FREE :D
  • audbod38
    audbod38 Posts: 213 Forumite
    I just did my sons renewal and that took almost 3 weeks, not sure if first time passports take longer
  • mollythewestie
    mollythewestie Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 23 April 2010 at 2:15PM
    We did DDs a few weeks ago by check and send at the PO, it took exactly 2 weeks and 1 day.
    You can give them a ring to see where abouts it is in the system, you need the application number they gave you when you applied at the PO and basic details of the applicant. The number is on the passport website.

Here is a link:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Applicationinformation/DG_181663
    Value of prizes 2010 - 2017: £8374 Wins 2022: Magic set
    Debt free thanks to MSE
  • My son's took 2 weeks to come back through the post office check and send service, I know you have to pay a few quid extra, but I'd rather do that than have it returned cos I've missed something or done it wrong. I was panicking cos it was only 4 weeks til he went away when I sent it off but I had trouble finding someone to countersign it.
    Over futile odds
    And laughed at by the gods
    And now the final frame
    Love is a losing game
  • bex2010
    bex2010 Posts: 23 Forumite
    I've just had by dds first passport back - not sure exactly to the day but it was around 2 weeks. Have a good holiday.
  • I have been through this. They arrived 4 days before our holiday and I had sent them 3 weeks before. We had bother with all sorts of things and it took me about five attempts with the forms and 3 sets of photos for me and my daughter...all that needed signing on the back.. Turned into a bit of a farce....but we got them! Good luck and have a good holiday.
    ;) "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley. ;)
  • xxvickixx
    xxvickixx Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Crystal you must have been stressing by then!
    Thanks everyone, I will use that link to see where they are. Why do I leave everything til the last minute?
  • p-pincher
    p-pincher Posts: 727 Forumite
    When i sent my 2 dd's first passport applications and they were back within 10 days x
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • Surfbabe
    Surfbabe Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I've sent my daughters passport off last week and the new one was back today - about 10 days in all - that was using the post office checking service
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 April 2010 at 9:07PM
    Did you make a note of the Barcode? It tells you to do so in the notes and then you can use the barcode to track where the passport is on-line. Unfortunately my husband had sealed the envelope for the re-newal of our 2 childrens before jotting it down and I wanted it in the post far more than I wanted to go into town with 2 children and get another form for the envelope. I've been waiting roughly 2 weeks.

ETA- Did you pay by cheque? I've just checked my BAand the money for the passports went out today so I'm expecting them here shortly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure