PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

best and final offers - tactical tips please???

Options
2»

Comments

• carolt
    carolt Posts: 8,531 Forumite
    Options
    TBH, I think you'll be glad you didn't get it in a little while - W London prices are so unrealistic at the moment and the only way is down.

I used to live in Ealing and was truly shocked when I had a brief glance for old time's sake at Ealing prices. Flats in the very manky road we used to live in - a whole long street, all absolutely identical maisonettes, in W Ealing - I happen to know went for a shade over 60K about 11 years ago. I saw a couple there for 325K+, :eek: advertised last week. As I used to live in one I know they are really shoddily built, manky flats and in a pretty grotty, inconvenient area - I doubt I'd buy one for 60K unless I fancied getting into BTL (which I don't). Anyone who buys one for 325K, let alone more, is an absolute idiot.

Not suggesting that you are - I assume the place you found was much nicer - but am just trying to demonstrate that with regard to a particular street whose history I happen to know well, going up over 500% in just over 10 years does not seem in any way sustainable.

Give it time, prices will return to something approaching sanity again - W London is nice, but not THAT nice... :)
  • mr.broderick
    mr.broderick Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    carolt wrote: »
    TBH, I think you'll be glad you didn't get it in a little while - W London prices are so unrealistic at the moment and the only way is down.

I used to live in Ealing and was truly shocked when I had a brief glance for old time's sake at Ealing prices. Flats in the very manky road we used to live in - a whole long street, all absolutely identical maisonettes, in W Ealing - I happen to know went for a shade over 60K about 11 years ago. I saw a couple there for 325K+, :eek: advertised last week. As I used to live in one I know they are really shoddily built, manky flats and in a pretty grotty, inconvenient area - I doubt I'd buy one for 60K unless I fancied getting into BTL (which I don't). Anyone who buys one for 325K, let alone more, is an absolute idiot.

Not suggesting that you are - I assume the place you found was much nicer - but am just trying to demonstrate that with regard to a particular street whose history I happen to know well, going up over 500% in just over 10 years does not seem in any way sustainable.

Give it time, prices will return to something approaching sanity again - W London is nice, but not THAT nice... :)

Yeah people been giving that advice for years now, wonder if this piece of advice will be diferent from all the previous.:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure