Sgl no 2 account on direct debit???

Comments

• Annielou
    Annielou Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I set up a buildings/contents house insurance policy with Swinton Group and have just noticed an extra DD going out of my account for SGL No 2 account. When I phoned them they said I had agreed to a free 3 months of personal accident cover which then is charged after the 3 month free period. I had absolutely no knowledge of asking for it, or even being told about it, but was told it was in their "script". I am always pretty careful about things like that and would never ever have agreed if I'd realised what it was, so I wonder is it carefully worded in their script so the customer doesn't cotton on to what is being sold? But however it is sold, isn't this extremely unethical these days that so many people seem to be duped into this by one specific company??!!! I am going to write to them and ask them how it was presented to me in their script, but your thoughts and experiences would be interesting.
  • funkyg
    funkyg Posts: 6 Forumite
    Just found this entry on my online banking too.
    So thanks for poiting out who it was! Just cancelled it and got a cheque on the way.
  • Just recieved one of these also on my account as i have car insurance with them. They told me I wouldnt recieve a refund and if they tell you this also THEY ARE LIEING!

ALL DIRECT DEBITS are covered by direct debit indemnity, which means that you can recover the full cost of the direct debit as it waqs unauthorised by you. Simply go into your local bank, book an appointment and tell them which direct debit it was. They'll write down a code and you'll recieve a full refund of the money in 3 - 5 working days.

Stereophonics
  • Phillip just quickly I had the same problem. You can get your money back from the bank as it was unauthorised! You Just need to pop into your local branch and tell them which direct debit name it was. All direct debits are covered by a direct debit indemnity which means that the bank will recover the full cost of any such dealings. Swinton won't tell you this though (obviously). Go get your money back and make sure you cancel your account from these pigs. You've been duped.
  • CaggyB
    CaggyB Posts: 1 Newbie
    Phillip just quickly I had the same problem. You can get your money back from the bank as it was unauthorised! You Just need to pop into your local branch and tell them which direct debit name it was. All direct debits are covered by a direct debit indemnity which means that the bank will recover the full cost of any such dealings. Swinton won't tell you this though (obviously). Go get your money back and make sure you cancel your account from these pigs. You've been duped.

I tried this today with my bank RBS. They informed me "if you have had any dealings with Swinton in the past and if you have previously given them your account details then it may not be fraud. We do not know the relationship you have with them. We have cancelled the direct debits but we will not be refunding you. You will have to seek compensation from Swinton or other consumer agency". Swinton are disgusting and I would advise anyone to stay very clear!!!!
  • joe14729
    joe14729 Posts: 1,243 Forumite
    This is an odd thread to be in the "game over" section!
    I,m so stupid that I forgot the mnemonic
  • I have a £7.98 monthly direct debit coming out of my bank account each month, the ref number is ocfo1f8d. I would like this cancelled as soon as possible. Thankyou. Philip Livingston
  • Just noticed one of these on my account too but nothing been collected yet however when I looked into it I found out it was my home emergency cover that is now under a separate dd rather than being bundled with home & conts. So if anyone has this might be worth checking before cancelling the dd.
  • just found that to and cancelled it. lucky for google lol
  • tuppie
    tuppie Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have The same DD set up racking my brains who is SGL...thanks to this thread i now know as i got a letter from Swinton the other day saying breakdown cover offer and the checky so and sos have set dd up before i could phone and say Thanks but no Thanks DD cancelled""
    Waiting to win an ITV competition.....:A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport