Writers Bureau

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of the Writers Bureau either good or bad as I am thinking of possibly enrolling to improve my writing skills with the possibility of selling some of my work.
Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52

Comments

• LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Yes, it's a waste of money - nothing you can't get from creative writing books on Amazon etc. If it's feedback you want, you're better off joining a creative writing group. Lists of publishers are easily found on the internet, also agents etc. The advice about getting published is pretty standard - stick to house style, send material on spec etc.
  • I use fanstory.com It's free to join and review other work, but if you put any writing on there it's a $2.80 subscription monthly. (Can cancel at any time - no grief)
    Don't let the sub put you off. My writing has imporved tremendously since I started writing on there.
    Payment a day challenge: £236.69
    Jan Shopping Challenge: £202.09/£250
    Frugal Living Challenge: £534.64/15000
  • Writers Bureau sounds like a bit of a ripp off to me.

You could consider a local college evening course.

Then you get to meet interesting people also
  • jasonwatkins
    jasonwatkins Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    I actually did it many years ago when I had more money than sense. The money back guarantee was in writing, and I'd checked the T's & C's so I basically theorised that if I followed the course as it was laid out, I could at least get the money back at the end of it.

So in a sense, it was a glorified savings account :)

Anyway, I started the course and did the first assignment. Sent if off and the tutor liked it, gave me a few pointers and told me which assignment to do next.

And that's when I basically had complete writer's block. Had absolutely no idea on how to continue - I really can't remember what the particular assignment was, but I know the tutor did try to help. After about 3 months I just realised that it wasn't going to work so I wrote off the money and sold the books on ebay.

Just noticed someone else doing exactly the same ..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Writers-Bureau-CREATIVE-WRITING-COURSE_W0QQitemZ320473158884QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collections_Lots_Books_EH?hash=item4a9db054e4

If you've got the money to spare, and you're willing to potentially write it off (pardon the pun), then go for it.

It's zero guarantee of being a successful, published writer but i do think it could be a rewarding course.
  • Personally I'd avoid it. I guess it suits some people, but it wasn't for me. The guarantee is that you earn the amount of your fee back by the end of the course, but that means you have to complete the course in order to claim your money back... and personally I found some of the reports did not interest me in the slightest. It covers all kinds of writing, so you have to do assignments that may not be what you want to study. For example there was one where you had to write a radio play. I have no interest in writing plays, but if you want to complete the course you have to do them all. My guess is that the vast majority of people do not complete the course and that's how they make their money. You start off full of enthusiasm and complete the assignments as quickly as possible because you're so keen to do it, and then start to lose hope as the negative reports come in.

Also, I didn't like the tutor - she would make a criticism but there didn't seem much dialogue about it. If you were doing a face to face college course you could have a proper conversation with the tutor about where you are going wrong - and you could question them to give more info, but I wasn't able to get this from my tutor. She would say something negative but didn't seem to offer advice on how to improve it, just what she thought was wrong with it. I don't mind constructive criticism if I'm 'told this isn't working, why don't you try this instead'... but I just got the 'this isn't working' part.

I agree with the earlier poster who said if you want feedback you can get that from a writers' group or a college course. in fact, one of the writing magazines (can't remember if it's Writer's Forum or Writing) do offer a tick box of feedback when you submit short stories to them.

I don't want to sound entirely negative. I'm sure Writers' Bureau would suit some people... and to be fair I did get a book published because of an idea I got through doing one of their assignments - but really they don't tell you anything you can't get cheaper elsewhere.

Thanks to the poster who mentioned selling the books - I'll look into that as I've still got mine sitting here gathering dust!
  • raphanius
    raphanius Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just had my first novella published and found http://www.mywriterscircle.com/ to be the most useful resource to hone my skills. Plenty of tips, people who offer critiques and editing and other peoples examples of writing. Membership to the forum is, of course totally free.
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I tried the writers bureau - sent off my first assignment but they were so critical. Also the next assignment was completely unrealistic so felt it was a complete rip off
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works £11.1K
    3) CC £2.5K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I personally think you'd be better off with some creative writing books and a local group. If you do want to go the distance learning route though why don't you try the Open University. They are not cheap, but at least they are a very respectable name and you'd presumably get some uni credits too.
  • Imani
    Imani Posts: 134 Forumite
    My friends mum is using the writers bureau and doing well. I am considering it alongside the oxford open learning writiting course. unsure really
    would love to be a home owner. hate private renting
    scared of debt. almost debt free.
  • Fang_3
    Fang_3 Posts: 7,602 Forumite
    You don't mention what kind of writing that you would like to do, so I would suggest that you start with 'Wannabe a Writer?' by Jane Wenham-Jones as it covers most of the writing style and is an excellent 'kick start' book. If you enjoy fiction then do join your local group, it can be invaluable. I'd also recommend that you purchase the most up to date copy of 'The Artist and Writer's Handbook', and a copy of McNae's for Journalists. Even if you don't think that you will be even close to a journalist, it's worth knowing the law, because even a passing comment about a real person in a short story needs to abide by the law, or you could be sued.

I earn a reasonable income for the hours that I do as a freelance writer, it's not mega-money but it's relatively easy for me, and I enjoy it so vastly preferable to working in a shop or bar. It's not easy on the whole, there's no easy way to go about it, and you won't get the help where you'll feel you need it. Those that are already successful won't have the time to critique your work and they will not share their contacts. That's not being rude, but contacts are money, and no one sane would give up information that they have worked hard to get. You have to be prepared to work very hard at nurturing these contacts and making sure that you can produce top quality work in a very short time frame, or you won't get repeat work and you may not be paid for the work that you have done if it's not up to standard. And people talk so if you try to run before you walk you may not be even heard again.

If you have the talent, drive, thick skin and sheer bloody-mindedness to do this then good luck. If not, then keep it as a hobby and don't have the expectation of making easy money, and just enjoy writing and hopefully one day it'll just click into place and you could make a bit of money from it. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure