Delivery mileage ???

Comments

• steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    id suggest you not worry about delivery miles

just check it well for damage or repainted panels etc , had the odd car hit trees on top of a transporter and badly damage the roof
  • plane_boy2000
    plane_boy2000 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    My last Audi had 4 miles on it - came on a transporter 400 miles away. New car had 203 on it but was driven to me from a dealership 200 miles away...

From a personal standpoint I dont see whay more than 20 or so miles, although a colleague of mine cancelled his new car after he delayed delivery to get the new reg - found the garage using it as a demonstrator........
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Mines had 6 miles when i picked it up...it's still loosening up at 12K.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • hoyles10
    hoyles10 Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    I once ordered a car from Germany as it was about £5500 cheaper than buying it here and it only had 220 miles on the clock as delivery milage, not bad from Germany :D
    If At First You Don't Succeed, Call It Version 1.0 :D
  • Arlen
    Arlen Posts: 127 Forumite
    Mine had 29 on it when I test drove it and 38 when I picked it up (9 mile test drive). My car had been bounced around the dealer network. My dad got one the week after with similar miles on it. I class anything under 50 as delivery miles.

Interestingly there is a VW "showroom" called Volkswagen Autostadt where you can pick up your car and it has never turned a wheel so you start driving at a genuine 0 miles.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm about to buy two new cars on 1 Sept. As I'm planning to keep both of them for at least six years I won't be caring too much about the mileage if it's 20 or 200.
  • Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I've had a few new ones over the years and can't recall any having double figures when I collected them. My most recent one in April had 3 and a bit miles showing on the clock. All have been from local main dealers, different if you use a broker or distant dealer and opt for driven delivery.
    Arlen wrote:
    Mine had 29 on it when I test drove it and 38 when I picked it up
    Don't understand this comment, I have never asked for or been offered a test drive of a new unregistered car. Isn't that what dealers have demonstrators for? :confused:
    Wouldn't be happy to accept as "new" a car that had potentially had several folks test driving it before I bought it. I suppose technically if you're the first registered keeper it would be new - but I can't reconcile that with it being a demo car.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My Toyota salesman friend says that if they have to return a car to Toyota GB, then they will only accept the car as having delivery mileage if it has less than 75 miles on the clock.
    The man without a signature.
  • maz403
    maz403 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Mine had 26.7 miles but that included a 20 mile + drive from the dealership to my house which seemed just fine to me
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ian_W wrote: »
    Don't understand this comment, I have never asked for or been offered a test drive of a new unregistered car. Isn't that what dealers have demonstrators for? :confused:
    Wouldn't be happy to accept as "new" a car that had potentially had several folks test driving it before I bought it. I suppose technically if you're the first registered keeper it would be new - but I can't reconcile that with it being a demo car.

I've test driven loads of unregistered cars and vans using dealer trade plates. Sometimes we buy the test car, other times the test car is the nearest they can offer, and at other times we don't buy it at all. So these cars get driven by us and probably sold onto someone else as a new car. As long as the mileage remains in double digits then it's not a problem.

Most dealers will store a car for the 59 plate - they don't want it to pick up damage or get totalled and risk losing a sale. But sometimes a car in very short supply may get used for a sneaky test drive or 2.
    The man without a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport