PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Comments

• jazzyjustlaw
    jazzyjustlaw Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    I am a Law Graduate aged 33, with a Teenager daughter mouthy and 15. I am studing the Ilex Practice element (Legal Executives) as I cannot afford the LPC (£10,000) without giving up my job as a Legal Secretary. Bah Humbug.

But hoping all this moneysaving etc and eventually qualifying as a Legal Executive will help me qualify as a Solicitor - yippee!!!!!
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • badgermonkey
    badgermonkey Posts: 165 Forumite
    I'm a teacher and my BF is too (btw, VickyA, do you post on the TES site??)

Here because we were falling into the "we earn good money, and work hard, and we DESERVE..." trap. Nowhere near as good a MS as people here but certainly getting ideas.
  • jazzyjustlaw
    jazzyjustlaw Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    Miroslav wrote:
    I'm off work sick and about to start psychotherapy. Been in and out of work for years and need to sort some issues out (mainly death of partner and child) if I'm to make it in this world.

I hope to return to work later this year If i gain confidence

I have lost two children and I couldnt get out of bed and I had panic attacks and could only go to Sainsburys. You will get there I promise.

Life can be terrible sometimes but you can rebuild your life I promise and the people are here will help.
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • DaisyNelson
    DaisyNelson Posts: 763 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Wow what a great idea for a thread, I ve found it really interesting and touching to hear what you all do. I have a full time job with a charity, several cats, a new gym habit and much more debt than I would like.
    One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi all

Until age 26 I was a lazyabout, studying half-heartedly and doing nothing much (in Italy and travelling through Europe), a hippy really.

In 1983 I came to the UK to find work and have worked ever since, hardly been out of work.

Started as a chambermaid, moved to McDonalds, graduated to Broomfields the Bakers (sandwich counter), then the big break: got a filing clerk job with the GLC/ILEA and thus started my love-hate relationship with local government.

Got made redundant in 1990 when the ILEA was abolished but did not mind at all as I had baby twins and got a fab redundancy package.

When the twins were 1 year old I set up my own payroll business with the help of the Enterprise Allowance, when that finished 1 year later I closed the business and did some nannying and odd office jobs, also home-educated the twins until they were 6 years old.

Then I put them in school as we found a school that we liked and I went back to local govt. work (Greenwich) as accounts officer. Then moved to Lewisham Council as payroll officer and got promoted to IT officer as I loved computers and was taking a part time HND in IT systems (never finished it, mind you hehehe). Left Lewisham and did some temping, then back to Greenwich as a health development officer, left Greenwich as I got fed up with conditions of service and after a very brief brush with a horrible employer in the voluntary sector I set myself up as a doula.

2 and 1/2 years of caring for pregnant mums, birthing mums and new mums on a self employed basis has taken its toll and I have just gone back (4 weeks ago) to office work - I am now a project support worker in a charity not far from home, working p/t 3 hours per day.

I also do 4-6 hours admin for another charity from home and still do the occasional bit of doulaing for any mums that need me, but aiming to drop the doulaing altogether - maybe I shall do the odd birth but not sure...

Still toying with the idea of setting my own cookery business (Mamma's kitchen, simple cooking for complicated lives) but not got around to doing so yet!

All the above while raising a family... am a bit tired.... hehehehehehe

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm an admin type bod in a local organisation...local being a town in N.Ireland. I am originally from here, but spent all my adult life in London, then moved back last year. It was a good move in that I managed to pay off my mortgage (whoopee!) however the reverse culture shock of getting used to the ways of a small village in ireland after so long in London is v.v.difficult. It was all my own idea to move but there you go, I got that one magnificently wrong!!

Otherwise I am an a true animal lover, I have two cats and in recent times very sadly lost a third cat - Baba - to the road (or rather v.quiet country lane) by my house. I was so upset and still am - my animals are so important to me.

I'm hoping to move back to England, next year - to do a full-time degree, possibly in animal welfare, conservation or psychology. They say life begins at 40, that's how old I will be when I start...I can't wait, my 40's WILL be better than my 30's!

I've managed to retain my status as a single person all my life, and I have no kids.
  • Squidgy
    Squidgy Posts: 684 Forumite
    I'm a 24 year old mum, who works full time as a receptionist. I am also 4 months pregnant with my second child. I am very very tired and looking forward to my maternity leave already, which doesn 't start until September.
    It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
  • LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't know what catagory I fall into :(
    I live in London and haven't worked for almost 5yrs, now its by choice, but wasn't in the beginning.
    I worked for 10 yrs before that in Social Services, had to leave due to a new manager making my job impossible. Took council to Industrial Tribunal, 2 yrs later won my case and got awarded an amount of money. No amount could make up for the stress involved in being forced out of a job I really loved. I wouldn't advise anyone to go to an IT...............EVER!!!!!
    Married with 2 sons, one still at home, not paying his way. Husband works for local council. I chair a local health support group.
    With the award money, and cashing in an Endowment policy that wasn't going anywhere, we decided to buy a newly built villa in Bulgaria, where I'd like to live one day. OH not so keen on full time living there. Go over quite a lot, about 8 times since last July. Back there in 2wks time. Making a nice little life there :)
    No debts, other than mortgage.....................but love this site sooooooooooo much!!!!
    It hasn't as yet, saved me any money, because I keep finding brilliant bargains and discounts that I keep spending money on.................but I believe long term I will end up saving.
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

• Miroslav
    Miroslav Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have lost two children and I couldnt get out of bed and I had panic attacks and could only go to Sainsburys. You will get there I promise.

Life can be terrible sometimes but you can rebuild your life I promise and the people are here will help.

aww thanks, I hope you are right.

Thanks to the nice lady who has Private Messaged me, I won't name her in case she is :o

Right now, the aim is to get out of debt, avoid jail, lose weight and get my health back on track.......then maybe someone will want me and I go on to lead a good life :) Long way off, but in a few hours a few people have given me a little hope :)
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    42. Work in a large warehouse for one of the big supermarket chains on nights. Turned my life around in recent years paying off debts and living the thrifty life and now losing over 6 stone doing little more than eating healthily (can you call 2270 calories a day dieting?).
    Only daughter left her mother and moved in with me last year, so learning to be a one parent family.
    Other interests - Postal gaming mainly. Currently playing Spain in a napoleonic wargame and just conquered Portugal (well I was impressed).

Currently trying to save 8k in 25 months to give to daughter from my dead father (long story). Then I'll be saving for me...
    Regards

X

PS Xbigman, lost a lot of weight - get it...
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business