Bailiff clamped my car.

Task Enforcement ltd have sent a bailiff round our house for an unpaid Congestion Charge on 12th Oct 2011. If am guilty of the charge and i ignored the letter about bailiffs.

He has turned up at my house today asking for £550 on the spot. I then said i couldn't pay the fine. He clamped my car and said i could pay half tomorrow and then the rest in two weeks. I cannot afford this at all.

He hasn't given me a breakdown of the charges, nor any evidence of him being a certified bailiff. I also have no evidence of the warrant to clamp the car or a county court judgement letter.

Is he acting legally?
I would pay the £550 but i can only do this on small installments as unfortunately i am currently seeking work and on job seekers.

Thanks for any help. It would be greatly appreciated!

Ady.

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I guess not. If you still have the car then remove the clamp and move the car somewhere else. If you move it onto your own private property behind a garage door would be best then he can't reclamp it. You have the right to remove the clamp (as long as you don't damage it).
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    You need some advice of people familiar with parking and congestion charges, try www.pepipoo.com for further advice on this. They will more than likely point you towards https://www.baliffadviceonline.co.uk , the folks over on pepipoo will need scans of paperwork so just follow carefully what they ask for.

Best of luck
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    If you have locking wheel nuts, remove a good wheel, lock it in the boot and put a locking wheel nut from the 3 wheels back in the holes very tight, leave the car on the jack.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    That wouldnt stop them getting a hoist though
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Adymole
    Adymole Posts: 11 Forumite
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    I guess not. If you still have the car then remove the clamp and move the car somewhere else. If you move it onto your own private property behind a garage door would be best then he can't reclamp it. You have the right to remove the clamp (as long as you don't damage it).

Thank you all for your advice so far. Very much appreciated. How would i remove a clamp without damaging it?
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Adymole wrote: »
    Thank you all for your advice so far. Very much appreciated. How would i remove a clamp without damaging it?
    You need a friend who is a mechanic with the appropriate tools, the spare time and you need a bit of beer money for them. Remove wheel. Remove suspension. Remove chain and clamp. Reassemble car.

Or forget about the damage to the clamp and just get an angle grinder and make the clamp disappear. No evidence = no crime.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • misterbarlow
    misterbarlow Posts: 466
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    or pick the lock...
    i know a guy who used to just unpick his and leave them in the road and drive off...
  • Trollfever
    Trollfever Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    For sale by auction.

One car with possible suspension damage caused by previous owner trying to remove clamp.

Buyer to collect from our secure yard at own risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure