Sentinel Card Protection - Is it worth it?

Hi Everyone,

I signed up to Sentinel card protection 2 years ago and I've been paying the annual subscription every year since (now up to £20) without really thinking about it. I've never had to use any of the services offered by Sentinel but the reason that I keep it is because it extends credit card like cover to my debit card.

What do you all think about Sentinel, is it worth the money or have they just put existing cover into a nice package?

Thanks for any advice!
The Planet of the Apes is about my life.
£2 savers club = £8

Comments

• VenuS
    VenuS Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I used to use sentinel, but that was a long time ago. The only decent thing they did was to put all my serial numbers from my electrical items onto micro film, and store it for me. It's not bad I suppose, but I decided to write them all down myself and give the proof to my mum :)
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    In my opinion a waste of money.

John
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Hi.

My Sentinel card protection is due for renewal and I have considered not carrying on with it, however, when I was looking over the policy last night, I came across a clause where if any personal money I'm carrying is stolen [cant remember if that was for loss as well] at the same time as my credit card, they will reimburse me.

Does this make Sentinel worth keeping?
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    pipkin71, check your home insurance. Mine covers me for up to £300 away from home.

John
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    hi sicker

I've just done as you suggested and checked my home insurance and "DOH" why am I thinking of paying twice for the same thing??????
    My home ins covers me up to £250 so a BIG thankyou for saving me an extra £20. The amount of money I have saved since joining this site is remarkable.

Thanks.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Genie75
    Genie75 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Another tip with Sentinel that we discovered last time we renewed: A number of banks use Sentinel but some charge less than others. We found this out by accident when we had a leaflet in with a bank statement that was cheaper than what we had been paying! Sentinel had no problems at all with changing from one to another and we didn't have to fill out all the information again! :D
  • Some bank accounts and credit cards give you this free. It's the only reason I still keep my Lloyds TSB gold card (no longer available). It also comes as part of the package with the Lloyds TSB Select service.
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you use PINs with your plastic then it maybe worth checking with Sentinel if your covered if you're unfortnate enough to become the victim of PIN based fraud and your card issuer argues (disputes the transaction or transactions), that you weren't careful with your PIN.

Will Sentinel cough up?

Bet this isn't mentioned in the T&Cs.
  • humfer
    humfer Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    Try applying for it via Nationwide - pretty sure it worked at something like £12 per year
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The tester for any type of insurance is when you come to making a claim.

Here's the story (recently posted) of a Sentinel claimant:

The end result of this claim should be interesting:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=227467
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills