We Are Decking the Halls with NSDs December Challenge

Comments

• Finally got NSD #2 yesterday! Spent the evening in watching Muppets Christmas Carol! :)
    No more buying books Books in 2016 = 20.
    Target for 2018 = 7/21
    No more buying DVDs ? 2018 target 27/52

Sealed pot challenge member #1733
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Eek, it's the 7th and I'm only declaring yesterday's NSD2.

Must try harder! I know I'll make the 10 I pledged, but 2 NSD's out of 7 potentials is showing room for improvement. :o

Well done everyone else for showing me how it's done! Yay!!! :D
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    ....got a very busy weekend coming up, off back to where i grew up to see my dad's grave and some people before christmas.

Hope you get some time to enjoy your w/e amongst all the hustle & bustle CK. Back BC (before children) The Offspring's dad & I used to take his grandmother around the family, so she could see them all & deliver the gifts she'd gathered over the previous 12mths. Considering she had seven (another lives abroad) children & almost 50 grandchildren living in a 10 mile radius, it took two weekends to complete as she'd sit in each & wait till offered something more than a cuppa :p By the time we got her home she was more than a little squiffy but insisted we stayed for some supper. One uncle was always the last call as he spoiled her rotten with meat fresh from the farm & just left the bottle of brandy by her side. After the second year we persuaded her to go on the Saturday that w/e as there's no way we could get her back before the early hours :rotfl: & we had work on Monday!

I must contact the florist soon as I order particular colours of carnations
    & Mum has a little arrangement made, to be collected Xmas Eve. Christmas morning I go up to the Cemetery; the tradition began after FIL passed over 30yrs ago & sadly the numbers have grown, but it is not a sad place to be. Mum used to think I was weird til she came with me after losing Dad, & saw the incredible number of other relatives who do the same. When it's a glorious winter sun we sit & watch the people & birds, then move to the older part to spot the squirrels scurrying around the knarled trees.
    Somehow, this act of remembrance completes my Dec 25th & gives me half an hour of peaceful reflection before entering the commercial world once again.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• ModestyB wrote: »

A miracle happened today, DH actually listened to me when I said don't buy anything unless we really need it and he didn't buy anything from the cash & carry! So that makes NSD 3 for me today.

Well done DH!:j
    Good evening folks,

Thanks to everyone for the hugs and good wishes etc. My mum had a heart operation on Tuesday and is on the mend, so things are good.

That's great red.I hope that things go smoothly for her.
    young_un wrote: »
    Sadly no NSD for me yesterday BUT I am definately getting better at this MSE lark went to a work do and withdrew my usual £70 for a night out came home at 2am this morning having only spent £25 (this includes taxi) very proud of myself :P
    Hope everyone is feeling okay today, sending big hugs and love to those that need it
    Xx

£70!:eek:Well done on showing such restraint!:)

Happy Friday everyone.
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Morning my no spendy chums :hello:

It's Friday time for a wiggle :dance:

th_cartoon-christmas-dancing-santa.gif
    BigMummaF wrote: »

I loved it :T Think I may [STRIKE]pinch[/STRIKE]find a link to use for my online greetings. You have an incredible knack of finding the exact thing to cheer us up...Power to Your Posts :beer:

Thank you :A
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Morning :)

declaring yesterday as NSD#5
    Today isnt going to be a NSD as i am off to Lidl shopping in a bit.
  • Fae
    Fae Posts: 664 Forumite
    Not a NSD for me today, as need to buy a few bits for the family pre Christmas meal I am doing tomorrow, but at least it's in a good cause, and my menu is very MSE :D

Fae
    LBM 29/10/2013 £14,218.00 As of 13/04/2014 £6477.00
    Paid 54%
    3 months to go 13 weeks
    DFD 28th August 2014
  • Hey All,

Planned spend days for today and tomorrow, and so am still sitting at:

NSD number 5

:rudolf:
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • Good morning everyone! :wave:

Another flying visit to report that NSD number 4 was caught on Wednesday! :j Unfortunately, I had to buy supplies yesterday, but hope to jump straight back onto (and stay on) the NSD wagon! ;)
    chris81418 - well done for number 3, you’re doing great!! :j:j

Thanks BDINI! :D And it looks like (((hugs))) are needed all round.

Enjoy that Friday feeling everyone and have a good wiggle! friday-smiley.gif
    :money: Proud to [STRIKE]be dealing with[/STRIKE] have dealt with my debts! :money:
    DFW Nerd #1256, WSC £?/£? for w/c 03/03/2013, NSD ?/19 for 03/2013, Long Hauler #196

highest debts: 01/06/2006 £69,023.92 _pale_
    debt free date: 31/12/2012 £0!:D
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    2ym65q8.gif

Hi lovely NSD gang:A
    As you can see there is lots of activity on this challenge at the moment and it's difficult sometimes to see how many NSDs you're all declaring on posts.
    Could I ask you to highlight your number of NSDs in a colour and in bold so that I can see them easily when I whizz through the posts - red would be best but I don't really mind as long as I can see the numbers easily.

Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF :A

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way wink2.gif
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine :) Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch sport-smiley-003.gif & have been l-o-n-g time Nsders so don't panic :p
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet :(
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out :whistle:)
    General thoughts on €bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you :D
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline action-smiley-076.gif
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by..:think:..
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots SIZE=2]Weds mornings[/SIZE in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker SIZE=2]Friday lunch[/SIZE in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one ;) (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but :j so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile :D

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean :rotfl:New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & Spoon usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club :D The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained :o

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport