Tesco refused to refund compatible ink cartridge

BrightKandle
BrightKandle Posts: 36 Forumite
edited 23 May 2009 at 11:01PM in Consumer rights
Hi,

I brought a Tesco compatible ink cartridge fro my HP Printer; however when I put the cartridge in the printer said it did not recognise the cartridge, so I went back to Tesco and I was informed that as I had opened the cartridge I could not get a refund or exchange.

I asked to speak to the Manager and he told me the same, however after some debating he agreed to offer me a refund on the basis that I bring him in some proof that I own the printer that I brought the cartridge for!! Luckily I brought it from Tesco and have the receipt so will take this in when I next go. I will be writing a complaint to the head office however I just needed some advice as when I told the manager that they should display a notice to say that these ink cartridges where exempt from refund/exhange due to being faulty then they should have a sign up.

The uptight manager told me that they did not need to display any such sign and that I should read up on my rights if I wasn't happy! I found this very insulting hence the complaint I will be writing to the Head Office. I was also informed by the customer service advisor prior to the manager coming that they get so many returns for the compatible cartridges for the printers as they don't seem to work.

If Tesco know there is a problem they should stop selling these items, it really annoys me when these corporate companies try to take advantage of consumers. I hate to think how many accepted the reason and lost money, mine cost me £22!

Anyway I just wanted to know if the manager was right and that they don’t need to display a notice to say what items are not eligible for a refund if faulty?

Comments

• Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    ANY defective item entitles you to a refund.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2009 at 9:00AM
    I'm not familiar with HP printers but did you try to print anything after receiving the message? Or did the printer refuse to work?
    I buy compatible Epson cartridges and always get a similar message but the printer and cartridges still function correctly. I was going to add how much I pay for them but that would add insult to injury! But £22 good grief!
    If the printer doesn't work with these cartridges then yes, a refund has to be forthcoming. How do you know it doesn't work if you don't try it?
  • scullster
    scullster Posts: 324 Forumite
    I buy "compatible" ink cartridges from an internet co. for my Lexmark at a fraction of the price of the Lexmark cartridges. When you insert them, everything is fine except that the printer things the cartridge has v. low ink levels so I have to clear an error message each time I print. Whilst I could go back to the retailer as its clearly not 100% compatible, I choose to focus my efforts on other battles!

Can't believe that you have to prove you own the printer but that being said, the printer could be faulty.

The manager is talking cobblers! The reason why they don't put a sign up is because they cannot due to the law!
  • I tried printing after the error message and nothing printed in black, however when I changed the font to colour the document printed, I then put in a new HP photo black cartridge in afterwards and it worked!
  • nickyt
    nickyt Posts: 915 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,
    I have a HP printer and I have tried a few different compatible cartridges and none have worked it will only work when I use orignal ones hth
    Thanks for any help and advice given
    ~~~Nicky~~~
  • renegade
    renegade Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    Hello all. I bought a cartridge for my hp printer but it kept going wrong so I bought another printer from Tesco.Now I have an unused, unopened cartridge but no receipt, do you think they will refund me the money.I did buy it from them, honestly.
    You live..You learn.:)
  • Andy_Ches
    Andy_Ches Posts: 420 Forumite
    I had the same issue at Wilkinsons.

I bought on of their 'Wilko' ink cartridges for an epson printer. Took it home, removed the old one, it looked the same as the new one, but the printer refused to work and spat it back out. Took it back to Wilkinsons, but they we're fine about it.

I'm becoming increasingly unhappy at Tesco recently, they don't even want ot give you any carrier bags when your doing a shop over £100, but that is a completely different issue!
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I bought a Tesco compatiable for my previous Canon printer which wouldn't work.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • ricky1091
    ricky1091 Posts: 16 Forumite
    I am a tesco duty manager and have never heard of this! Tesco operate a 28 day refund policy on all products except the items listed on the 'Our promise' board usually located at the customer service desk. As far as I can remember these items are jewllery and underwear. If the item is faulty he should take your word for it no questions asked and issue you with a refund or exchange, providing you have your receipt. My advice would be to phone customer services in Dundee who I have always found to be more than helpful - 0800505555. Tell them what happened and if possible the names of the people involved as they havent been properly trained.
  • mr-flake
    mr-flake Posts: 7 Forumite
    Won't be buying one ever again.
    My printer has just displayed a cartridge not found error, upon opening the printer I am greeted wityh blue ink sprayed around the interior and blue ink dripping out of the cartridge, despite a cleanup and inserting a genuine cartridge my printer refuses to accept any cartridge is installed, it is totally up the spout. It will be packed and shipped to Tesco for them to inspect and replace. Not happy at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure