Peugeot 206 problems

I got a 206 from a dealer last year in December, and while it seemed a good buy at the time .. its recently started causing serious problems. I haven't been driving it much since I bought it (just local shopping trips that happen once in a week), and only started using (more trips) last week of February. Had had it fully serviced a month after buying, and the garage didn't point out any issues that would affect its roadworthy performance. (I should point out that I just spoke to him and he didn't do a diagnostics on it and is now asking me to bring it in again so that he can scan it; I thought a full service means a "full" service?)

It starts to lose power whilst travelling at speed or even driving at 20mph, then immediatley pick up again, causing a jerking motion. And sometimes it just stalls and grinds to a halt. I just had this happening on the highway yesterday, and when it stalls, the brakes and power steering lose power and it becomes very difficult to control the car. And it jerks in slow moving traffic as well. Driving has become very stressful, and I quite regret making the purchase now.

I have arranged a diagnostics check with the main Peugeot service centre in my area for next Wednesday and hopefully they will be able to resolve it.

However, my cause for concern is this .. quite a few people online seem to have had similar problems resulting in major costly repairs and in some cases, the problem only returns after some time. For some, the diagnostic checks do not reveal anything and yet the problems persist resulting in the car eventually breaking down.

From what I have read on forums, if the diagnostic test fails or if the costs are too high, its possible that the car was faulty at the time of sale, and one suggestion made was to have an independent inspection done and have the dealer take responsibiilty under the Sale of Goods Act as the car right now is not even road-worthy. Its too much of a danger to me and others. Would this be a viable route?

Also, should I keep the dealer informed via letters (recorded delivery) to make sure these can be looked upon in any further investigations?

Help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I had a problem with engine sensors causing power loss and misfire on a 106 , little garage down the road sorted it by removing and cleaning the sensors for £35

does the orange engine management light come on ??
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • That's the funny bit, no lights come on. The lights only come on during pre-ignition and when the car stalls, which I think is OK. No engine management light comes on while driving though.
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Is it a HDi engine...? Could be the FAP filter needs cleaning out or the Eloys fluid is low...?

If its petrol, it could be that its clogged up due the driving style...
  • No its a petrol, clogged up due to the driving style?
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Just when you say you don't use it much. Cars like to be thrashed and ghiven a good clear out every now anmd then, thats all. Ask joseph211 for more info lol
  • As i suspected, the diagnostics test did not reveal anything. Looks like I am going to have to keep on driving it until whatever is failing actually fails completely.
  • Forget the dealer. Take it to an independant who has experience with odd faults like this. Dealers will just put it on the computer and replace whatever they guess it is. Personally I'd be looking at the ignition coils, or blocked exhaust, failing fuel pump etc.
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Harveybobbles is right, cars need to be used regularly - doesn't do them any good at all to sit around.

Probably needs a good run now and again.

The fact that its running a bit rough now could be various reasons and don't see the point of doing diagnostics if there isn't a light on - it won't show anything apart from maybe a history of fault codes.

It could be coils/plugs/air flow meter. As previously suggested, a good independent should be able to work it out for you.
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • Ya, I didn't bother with the dealer, did take to to a local garage but they did the same, and cudn't find anything wrong with it from the diagnostics. He did mention that if the coil pack is going to fail, it doesn't show up in the diagnostics and that he had replaced plenty of them in the 206s before. Did suggest that instead of coughing up £100, i wait for the fault to reoccur and bring it back the same day so that they can check it out. Its a very temperamental problem, its started occuring a week back, did it for a day, was ok the next day, then decided to have a mood swing the next day, and its been perfectly ok for the past 2 days. Makes it very difficult to isolate what the problem is.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    yes, the coild thing sounds familiar from a friends 206

Lucas charged her £275 !!!!! and did not find a fault

I did the MSE thing and told her to ring head office , £275 duly refunded !!
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family