Lime Energy Saving Plug Recall - in today's MSE email

Premier_2
Premier_2 Posts: 15,141
Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 2 February 2011 at 11:58AM in Site feedback
I see in todays email that you are reporting the recall of all Lime Energy Saving Plugs, product code: ES1017.

Do you have a link to this official recall notice please? (e.g. from the supplier)

I have one of these plugs, but not sure how I got it. However it came from the UK distributor Grass Roots Group UK Ltd.

I can't see any notice of a recall on their websites,

https://www.freegreengadgets.co.uk/web/guest/home

or

http://www.shoponlime.com/engine/shop/index.html

where you can see it is apparently still being offered for sale. :huh:
I tried searching the internet for the recall notice and couldn't find it either.

I wanted to see the official recall notice as I wanted to know what exactly the fault is, does it affect all of these plugs or just a certain batch or ones offered through a certain outlet, is it a safety issue, etc.

Will the company be contacting me about this (since they have my address as they sent it me in the first place)?

I would call the company direct for clarification, but don't like the 0844 telephone number. Am trying to find a geographical (or freephone) number.

Edit: Have found the geographical number for them

01442 829400

Although I've also got the address of what seems to be the company that actually sent it, IOS in Jarrow.

Their phone number is: 0191 428 6525
"Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010

Comments

• AKS356
    AKS356 Posts: 46 Forumite
    I have a Lime Energy Plug but the Model is ES1016 is this being recalled as well, not used it yet?
    Thanks
  • patf
    patf Posts: 84
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I also have a Lime Energy Plug marked as ES 1016 but, as already noted in 'Premier's' post, I can find no reference to this recall on any website for these products.......
    Has anybody found more details yet?
  • Just received the following email:

"
    Product Recall Notice – Lime Energy Saving Plug (Model ES1017)
    I am writing to inform you that we have found a potential safety problem with a batch of the Lime Energy Saving Plugs, Model Number ES1017, which can be identified via the label on the back of the plug. This email will be followed with a letter, which you should receive in the next few days.
    The problem was identified following feedback from a very small number of customers who had experienced some problems with the individual pins of the plug that either fell out or remained in the socket when unplugged.
    This problem could potentially lead to an electrical hazard or exposure to live electrical parts.I strongly recommend that you stop using the Lime Plug and turn off the wall socket power switch before removing it.
    We will be sending you a replacement Lime Energy Saving Plug of a different model to replace your existing one and will endeavour to send this to you within 14 days from the postal notification that you will receive shortly. Along with the replacement plug we will include pre-paid packaging for you to return the original plug for its safe disposal.
    I would like to reassure you that no other Grass Roots products are affected.
    If you have passed this plug on to someone else, please would you also pass on this notice.
    I apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your co-operation in this matter. If you require further advice, please contact our helpline on 08448 – 795160 or alternatively contact us by email on [EMAIL="limeplugrecall@grg.com"]limeplugrecall@grg.com[/EMAIL]"

• Hi everyone

Grassroots contacted us letting us know they’re recalling the Lime Plug model number ES1017 and will be sending people who received one the ES1016 model instead. They’ll be including packaging so people can send the recalled one back. Anyone that ordered one and gave their email address should be receiving an email about it as well as a letter (as mentioned by pochisoldi above - great username by the way :) ).

Here’s the info we received from Grassroots:

We have found a potential safety problem with a batch of the Lime Energy Saving Plugs, Model Number ES1017. The problem was identified following feedback from a very small number of customers who had experienced some problems with the individual pins of the plug that either fell out or remained in the socket when unplugged. To date we have received feedback from four customers where this problem has presented.

Actions:

We are taking this very seriously; in light of the fact that the problem could potentially lead to an electrical hazard or exposure to live electrical parts we will be recalling the product.

We have composed a letter for the customers in receipt of the ES1017 plug model... We propose to print and send this letter, via 1st class mail, to the 111,337 customers (minus returns) that have received this plug model, on Tuesday (1st) of this week and also an email to those people where we hold an email address.

Following on from that we will be sending all customers a replacement Lime Energy Saving Plug from model no. ES1016 stock. Customers will receive these plugs within 14 days from the receipt of the letter. The replacement plug will have with it the pre-paid packaging for the customer to return the original plug so we are able to safely dispose of them.

We have created a dedicated helpline on 08448 795 160 and email address limeplugrecall@grg.com <mailto:limeplugrecall@grg.com> so we can identify and treat these customers as a priority. The contact centre team will be briefed in full, with comprehensive Q&As on the plug recall.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Just for info, the model number may be identified by way of a small sticker on the face of the unit which has the electrical socket pins in it.
  • pmhtuk
    pmhtuk Posts: 95 Forumite
    Just had a letter sent advising they're sending me a replacement in the post and then a self addressed envelope to return the faulty one.

Good move :)
  • Hi again everyone

Grassroots has asked us to clarify a couple of points people have made in this thread.

Clarification on the product recall for the LIME Energy Saving Plug – Model Number ES1017:

We recently wrote to all customers who registered for a LIME Energy Saving Plug as part of the ‘FLUSH’ campaign that ran from mid November to 6th December informing them that we found a potential safety problem with a batch of the plugs.

(The batch can be identified via a label on the back of the plug - Model Number ES 1017.)

All customers who registered to receive one of the plugs via the promotion above, will shortly be receiving a replacement plug.

You will not have received a letter if your plug was ordered through a different promotion because this plug was supplied from a different batch and is not being recalled. If you had a plug passed onto you by someone else, then we have advised the registered recipient of the plug to pass on the recall notice.

Further clarification can be found under FAQs on the FREE GREEN GADGET website https://www.freegreengadgets.co.uk/web/guest/home

If you wish to contact us by telephone, please use the following number 0844 879 5160 and you will be through
    to the customer service team. Alternatively, email us on [EMAIL="limeplugrecall&#64;grg.com"]limeplugrecall@grg.com[/EMAIL]
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for the update Andrea.

I received my letter on 4th Feb - hopefully everyone who is due one has received theirs by now.
    Just waiting for the replacement product now.

If, like me, anyone is unsure what promotion they used to get their original plug, if they still have the packaging, it should say 'FLUSH' on the address label

p2091166rr.jpg

Also, there appears some confusion over what the number ES1017 refers to. I see Grassroots refer to it as a model number, but the label on the back of the plug (as referred to by Random Name above) calls it a Product Code

p2091169rr.jpg

Hope that helps anyone who thinks they may be affected :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Has anyone received their replacement plug yet?

The letter said within 14 days which now seems to have passed.
  • zppp
    zppp Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    Premier wrote: »
    Has anyone received their replacement plug yet?

The letter said within 14 days which now seems to have passed.

Not yet. I am waiting so I can swap them over.
    Best Regards

zppp :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family